8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a roof rack on a Civic? I'm just wondering what your exprience was in terms of ease of use and if it tends to wear on the paint/finish. Also, did you have a rack from Honda? Thule? Yakima?

Also, can anyone recommend a good temporary trunk mount bike rack?

(I am getting the 2006 Civic EX Sedan in Galaxy Grey).

TIA
-Ron

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
I had a bike rack from Yakima that I used on my '94 Civic. It did really well. I had it on my car for about 2 years on and off and the only damage I saw was discolorization where the rubber met the Civic paint. My car was white, so it wasn't very noticable unless you were looking for it. I don't know what it would do on another color.
I also used that same rack on my '86 Monte Carlo. I never noticed any damage on that car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My father had an '87 Accord with some Thule racks on it that did not come off until the car was traded in '92. His car was similar to my Galaxy Grey only a little less brown and I can't remember ever seeing a mark. We did the same thing on a '92 Nissan truck that was red but we didn't take the rack off when we traded it for the '00 Accord so I dunno how that held up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had a yakima rack on my 02 si it was okay but wore the paint by the door seal down to the metal. A good trunk mount rack is the Saris Bones rack thats what I want to get for the FG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I only put the roof rack on the car for the day I'm using it to haul a windsurfer or bike. Then take the rack off when unloading everything at the end of the day. Hopefully I won't cause any problems doing it this way. I'd like to find a good trunk mount bike rack that has a ratcheting mechanism to tighten the straps.

Eluwak, would you say the Galaxy Gray is more gray or more brown? It looks to me like it really varies depending on the lighting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
palindrome said:
Eluwak, would you say the Galaxy Gray is more gray or more brown? It looks to me like it really varies depending on the lighting.
Definately more of a golden brown

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In some pictures it looks more like a gray/smoke. For example, the
Galaxy Gray davejazz has:

http://jaswaye.com/civic.htm

Is there some variation in the paint Honda is using or is it the lighting or am I just losing my color acuity?

I'm hijacking my own thread...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone been able to find a Thule fit kit for the '06 Civics?

I called Thule and they don't have anything yet for the coupe and said to call back in 30-days to try again. I have the whole set-up, just waiting on a fit kit. 30-days from now and the winter is almost over anyway (I have a snowboard rack I want to install).

So far had a great experience with installation and use of the Thule roof racks on an 2002 Nissan Spec V.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've contact both Thule and Yakima to see if they had a rack compatible with the '06 Civic (coupe in my case) and both told me that they're working on it and it should be available within 4-6 weeks. Kinda sucks since I was hoping to start hauling my bike around with the Civic ASAP. I just spent nearly 5 months recovering from 2 surgeries to fix a separated shoulder and am dying to get back out there. Guess I'll be using my truck for bike hauling duties for a little while. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also contacted Thule. Here is the response about the kit for the coupe

Customer (Frank) - 02/08/2006 11:28 AM I was wondering when you will have a kit for a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe. Thank you!

Response (HECTOR CSR) - 02/08/2006 02:24 PM The fit kit for the '06 Civic Coupe is going to be kit#2172. We are currently awaiting for Thule Sweden to send us these kits. Unfortunately, we are expecting them in by mid-March. I do apologize for any inconvenience on the matter. Thank you for your inquiry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
medcina said:
Has anyone gotten a response from Yakima yet to see when they expect to have a kit for the Civic Coupe?
I spoke with Yakima a couple of days ago. They are in the "fitment phase" of getting the pieces ready. They did not have a time frame as to when it would be available. The guy did guarantee me that it was on the highest priority list as it is a popular model.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DanPorges said:
Thule has officially released a rack!!!

http://www.thuleracks.com/fit.asp?id=7999
Got the same reply for them ( transcript below ) . It is basically a gutterless footing:
Make: Honda
Model: Civic 4dr
Year: 2006
This solutions can be viewed on our website under this address:
http://www.thuleracks.com/fit.asp?id=7999
If this message has reached you in error, please reply to the address
above and we will remove your name from this service.

Thank You,
Thule Car Rack Systems

sample that i saw from the net:

Another one with the 400Xt footing :

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never had a roof rack, but I would like to get one. This Yakima rack....how does it mount? Do you need to screw it in? I would rather no mess up the paint or drill holes in the roof.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Scratch that. Spoke with Yakima and though they list the parts online, the Q131 clips are not in production yet. They couldn't give me an exact date yet but said it was soon.

Phrank, there is no drilling for the rack to be installed. Custom clips are used to mount the rack to your door sill without any screws. Holds very well without damaging your car. Read the first page of this thread as any "damage" was discussed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my fit kit and everything else coming in the mail and should be here sat. cant wait. ill post some pics when i get it installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts