8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

This is my first post here...have been following these forums for a while and love all of the posts.

I just got the new issue of Road & Track (sorry don't have a scanner) and they gave it a pretty good review. The 0-60 time was 6.8, the 1/4 mile was 15.1 and the skidpad was .85g. The handling is awesome and overall they loved the car. Their only gripes were with the hand brake rubing against the knees of taller drivers and the lack of torque below 5000 rpm. they basically proclaimed it the best Si ever made.

On a different note,

I have to say that I am super impressed with the new SI. Currently, i drive a 2002 RSX Type S and I was considering the new SI for my next car but I hate to say that i decided to order a domestic instead. I am 34 and I have always owned Honda/Acura's (except for a short 3 year stint with a 99 GTI VR6 golf) and they have never let me down. My RSX is such a joy to drive but I think I have grown tired of the lack of torque from 4 banger hondas/acuras. It was never an issue before but i think the massive torque from my VR6 Golf spoiled me . So...it is bitter sweet that I say that I have a 2006 Mustang GT on order.

I do so love the new SI and everything about it but my current 3 1/2 year experience with the K20 engine in my RSX has grown a little tired. From what I understand, the new SI sounds amazing and far more throaty than the RSX but I do so crave bottom end torque. I woud have even considered ordering the SI and modifying it to build some low end torque but I do not want to void the warranty on a brand new car.

it's sort of a catch 22 for me- I really love the new look of the mustang and it's power/handling but in my heart I will always be loyal to Honda and Acura. If Honda had thrown in the 2.4 litre, I would have have bought an SI. Why Honda? WHy? You make great handling cars with some of the best engines in the world but a little more bottom end would be nice:mad:

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
CameronJr9 said:
Yeah. That's about my only gripe as well...thanks for the heads up on the article.

When I looked at the pics (I have yet to test drive the lower models), the brake is angled about 20-25 degrees off-center. About 10 degrees more than my sedan but enough to possibly annoy me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm with you on the torque. I too love Honda's, they are all I've ever driven, but I think I will be switching to a Pontiac G6 GTP when its time to buy my next car. While I love the high reving eager Honda 4's, they just can't compare to the torque available from the G6's 3.9 V6. I would be interested in the Honda Accord V6, but its just so bland. Also, the new vics don't have leather even though they've gone a bit upmarket. : (

The Si is getting lots of praise. Definately a very impressive car for the money.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There are a lot of factors...my biggest or one of the biggest was gas mileage. 40mpg is awesome, especially cause Its 26 miles to work.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
jp375 said:
I'm with you on the torque. I too love Honda's, they are all I've ever driven, but I think I will be switching to a Pontiac G6 GTP when its time to buy my next car. While I love the high reving eager Honda 4's, they just can't compare to the torque available from the G6's 3.9 V6. I would be interested in the Honda Accord V6, but its just so bland. Also, the new vics don't have leather even though they've gone a bit upmarket. : (

The Si is getting lots of praise. Definately a very impressive car for the money.
"A 2006 GTP prototype (with stability control disabled) felt much the same as the GT--not a surprise considering that the GTP's optional 18-inch wheels mark the only suspension change. It's predictable and fairly taut, but not as crisp as, say, an Acura TSX sport sedan. And the 240-horse 3.9's acceleration doesn't feel much stronger than the 200-horse 3.5. With a wide band of useable torque available, neither engine's power will much disappoint devotees of twin-cam sixes, except for the refinement deficit. The GTP's optional six-speed manual is a welcome change over the four-speed automatic. It's direct with medium throws, but awkward in feel. On GM's new Nuerburgring-inspired test track, the G6 GTP felt sporty, but with a domestic-brand predilection toward understeer. The GTP's tail refused to rotate around corners at GM's test track until a cloudburst provided wet tarmac."-Motor Trend Magazine http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0411_hd_pontiac/

So much for paying more for torque....
Plus, if styling is a deciding factor (to some degree, it's a factor for everyone), I'd go with a Japanese or European car, unless you wait til next year. Some of the domestic cars, with the except of the Mustang and a few others, look pretty bland and/or generic, minus the ones that we'll see within the next few months.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^ I have heard this about the G6 engines. Both are quite torquey. As far as styling....I think the G6 Coupe has the styling edge over the civic coupe. I like the more classic lines and clean interior. I'm not yet a huge fan of the futuristic look of the civic. Don't get me wrong, i like it for what it is, but I'm more interested in a classy looking, powerful and a little bit more luxurious coupe. Obviously they don't really compete in the same price range.

The Si would be great, except for its more of a jumpy agile sporty car, what I'm looking for is more of a refined grand tourer.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
jp375 said:
^^ I have heard this about the G6 engines. Both are quite torquey. As far as styling....I think the G6 Coupe has the styling edge over the civic coupe. I like the more classic lines and clean interior. I'm not yet a huge fan of the futuristic look of the civic. Don't get me wrong, i like it for what it is, but I'm more interested in a classy looking, powerful and a little bit more luxurious coupe. Obviously they don't really compete in the same price range.

The Si would be great, except for its more of a jumpy agile sporty car, what I'm looking for is more of a refined grand tourer.
Hey, I can't be mad at that. :) I am in no way however, knocking the G6 but that segment has grown tremendously. Have you checked out some of the other cars in its class?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i like most abt the civic is the smooth engine + the gas milage, although i too think that giving it a little more torque will be nice though, well i can always switch to my other car when i feel torque hungry but gas milage will suffer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts