8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read it in my December Road & Track that I got yesterday.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6061

Limited to a run of only 1000 for the 2008 model year and available exclusively in the Fiji Blue Pearl seen here, Honda's Civic Mugen Si features 27-percent-lighter-than-stock forged alloy wheels shod with highly adhesive BFGoodrich g-Force KDW 215/40ZR-18 rubber, stiffened springs and shocks, and a retuned sport exhaust. Other highlights include new bodywork (front spoiler, side skirts, rear diffuser bumper and a large rear wing), Mugen badging and an aluminum shift knob.

Exclusivity does have its price, however, as this Mugen edition retails for just shy of $30,000; in comparison, a standard Civic Si sedan with navigation, XM satellite radio and high-performance tires has an MSRP of $23,240.

From a performance standpoint, the Mugen-ized car's improved suspension allowed it to post an impressive 0.92g in our skidpad test versus the 0.87g we achieved in a stock Civic Si sedan tested back in our June issue. The better-breathing exhaust adds about 5 horsepower, according to Honda, but this isn't enough to improve acceleration times as it performed nearly identically to the standard car.
Red shows that there is a difference in the Mugen Si's suspension and stock FA5 suspension.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Does Mugen=Rip-off?

Would people buy it because of the name? As far as I can tell, difference making upgrades can be had for a lot less cash.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i personally think honda should be genuine to their customers and replace all the regular SIs with Mugen and sell it at the same price 20-22K

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Does Mugen=Rip-off?

Would people buy it because of the name? As far as I can tell, difference making upgrades can be had for a lot less cash.
In this case yes.

People buy everything because of the name affixed to it... Even towels, for example. How does a $5, 100% cotton no-name bath towel for differ from the $12, 100% cotton Martha Stewart bath towel. They don't, but the perception is there that Marth herself ensured the quality of the cotton. It's simple marketing.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.