8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 16 inch stock STEEL rims with hubcaps and i recently bought new rims which havnt arrived yet...HPD Stinger GMs 17x7.5 and they are 21lb

I was curious if I would notice any different when driving, I read a sticky which reported that the Steel wheels weight 30lb+ and my new rims are 21lb

will the 9lb+ per rim make a NOTICEABLE difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You will feel a difference. My 93 i feel a difference from steelies to my aftermarket wheels, and on the SI i felt a difference from the stock rims to HFP wheels. It took me a day or so to get used to.

·
Registered
877 Posts
im the farthest from an expert, but i believe that a 10 lb savings x 4 wheels is not just a 40 lb savings as it is unsprung weight. there are some crazy math calculations that you can search on that subject, but their are benefits across the board.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Rim weight savings count towards unsprung weight, which is more important. Less moment of inertia = better acceleration, especially at lower speeds. At higher speeds it's less noticeable.

·
Registered
300 Posts
on a somewhat related note, I was surfing tirerack and they have some really light wheels like the enkei racing series and some of the kosei ones. Obviously you must give up strength for weight, but how easy is it to damage these light wheels? I've read some anecdotal things on this site about people bending them, etc. But does getting them mean that you hit a bigass pothole (upstate NY has some monster potholes) and your wheel is destroyed?

thanks,
gk

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i'm going from stock 23lb rims to 21lb rims, still think i'll notice a difference?
If you have an SI, the wheels are closer to 45 lbs. Stock wheels are built to last, which means most of the time they are heavy. I went to ship my stock wheels and with tires they weighed in at 45 lbs at one place and 47.5 at another. With tires your new wheels will be close to about 27-29lbs and you will feel a difference.

·
Registered
431 Posts
With tires your new wheels will be close to about 27-29lbs and you will feel a difference.[/QUOTE said:
I was recently perusing (all-season) tires for my Si and they ranged between 21 and 24 pounds per tire...I doubt that anyone has rims weighing 5 to 8 pounds. Are you sure about the weights quoted above?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Obviously you must give up strength for weight, but how easy is it to damage these light wheels?
What you have to look for is how the wheels are made.

Forged is king.

Here read this.

Wheel Tech - Wheel Construction

As to the OP's question. My Si felt like a different animal when I went from the stocker 17" (23lbs) to Motegi 17" (14.5lbs). Acceleration AND handling felt improved. Best money I could of spent.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
on a somewhat related note, I was surfing tirerack and they have some really light wheels like the enkei racing series and some of the kosei ones. Obviously you must give up strength for weight, but how easy is it to damage these light wheels? I've read some anecdotal things on this site about people bending them, etc. But does getting them mean that you hit a bigass pothole (upstate NY has some monster potholes) and your wheel is destroyed?
A big enough pothole can destroy any rim.

You don't necessarily give up strength for weight--it depends on the engineering, design and manufacturing process. Enkei RPF1s for example are pretty light, and very rugged--which is why a lot of racing teams use them. Forged is almost always lighter, but isn't always better. It depends on the engineering and design of the wheel. Durability is just as important as lightness.

If you noticed, Spoon Sports used Work Emotion CR Kai's for endurance races. Those things aren't exactly feather weight (20lbs), but man they can take a beating. Low-pressure cast makes em less prone to forming bubbles inside during the manufacturing process. Plus, they're designed well--I haven't heard of anybody bending those.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Really the people that have the most reason to worry about potholes are the ones with low profile tires. I laugh when I see people "fronting" their massive rims with maybe an inch of tire to keep them safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.