8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing a pretty loud clunk in the right rear of my 09 EX. It seems to be worst going over bumps which my town has a lot of. I took it into work and put it on the lift but I can't seem to find any loose parts like the sway bar link or rear tow links. The suspension is all stock and it all started about a month and a half ago. It just rolled over 50000 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been noticing a pretty loud clunk in the right rear of my 09 EX. It seems to be worst going over bumps which my town has a lot of. I took it into work and put it on the lift but I can't seem to find any loose parts like the sway bar link or rear tow links. The suspension is all stock and it all started about a month and a half ago. It just rolled over 50000 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Interested to see if anyone has input on this as well I have the same issue but mine is both sides..started after the rear of the car was jacked up..since then I installed coilovers.still have the sound

·
Registered
9 Posts
Experiencing the same sound coming from the rear driver. Buggin' the sh*t outta me, especially since I just got the car a month ago. Seemed to happen out of no where. Have an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at. If they find anything Ill let you guys know. BTW, riding on stock suspension.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me but on my 07 si tho. I changed the rear shock bushings with the Energy Suspension 16.8112 set. Turns on my old ones were so worn when I would tighten the shock bolt the old bushing would keep spinning. So when I did my truhart shocks recently it was never fully tight. I also had a leak in the trunk that went away.... I think, will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Very often clunks in the rear are swaybar related. You need to disconnect the endlink to check it... even at full droop on a lift the endlink can have some load on it.

Also check the swaybar frame bushings because those can enlarge and that has a clunky sort of sound too. Bar should have no play in it at all.

Chris

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I saw a thread on here a few weeks ago. Same issue as other people. When they took it to honda they added a washer on the top hat and it seemed to fix it. A couple months ago my 10' fa5 developed the same issue. Till this day it is clunking away. At first I thought it was the -6°f here we've been getting, but I parked my car in a warm garage for a good 8 hours and still does the noise

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
However it is still a good idea of process of elimination. Check the suspension, check the sway bar, check the sway bar end links. Last but not least check for any loose parts in trunk for example any loose tools, spare tightened down etc.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I have yet to see where the noise is coming from. It's been rather cold to really get into it. The most I've done is removed everything from my trunk. Suppose to warm up next week or so, I'll get more involved then.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here are my old ones next to the new ones. It was put to the test today and yesterday where most of the streets don't get plowed unless its major roads. No clunking what so ever. If you changed your endlinks and sway bar bushings like I did would look into the shock bushings. Not and expensive fix at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the car back from the shop. Spoke to them earlier and said drivers side endlink was a little loose, so I just had them replace both. I sware I still hear the noise. I looked at my shock bushings(these are accessed via the trunk right?). They visually appear to be in good shape, I didnt try tightening the top bolt since it had markings to line up two points. Should I be looking for play or rotation of the bushing indicating faults? Anyway, what bushings did you replace them with? Would appreciate a link to purchase. Thanks! Just realized your rockin an Si, so I dont think the parts will be the same. Ex coupe here.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Having the same issue. Thought it was my coilovers so I put back stock rear shock absorber and spring and it is still clunking over bumps. I have had this clunk going on a year now. I truly have no idea anymore.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just got the car back from the shop. Spoke to them earlier and said drivers side endlink was a little loose, so I just had them replace both. I sware I still hear the noise. I looked at my shock bushings(these are accessed via the trunk right?). They visually appear to be in good shape, I didnt try tightening the top bolt since it had markings to line up two points. Should I be looking for play or rotation of the bushing indicating faults? Anyway, what bushings did you replace them with? Would appreciate a link to purchase. Thanks! Just realized your rockin an Si, so I dont think the parts will be the same. Ex coupe here.
Yea just remove the 3 clips on the right and just see if you can wiggle the bushing with a flathead. My set were just worn out due to the car seeing all its life in NY. I installed brand new camber arms and end links 2 months ago and already have rust. You could have a different issue than mine but its only 10 bucks. Installing the bottom portion of the bushing may be a task if you have never messed with your cars suspension before.

Energy Suspension 16.8112 Rear Upper Shock Bushings Set Made by Energy Suspension

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea just remove the 3 clips on the right and just see if you can wiggle the bushing with a flathead. My set were just worn out due to the car seeing all its life in NY. I installed brand new camber arms and end links 2 months ago and already have rust. You could have a different issue than mine but its only 10 bucks. Installing the bottom portion of the bushing may be a task if you have never messed with your cars suspension before.

Energy Suspension 16.8112 Rear Upper Shock Bushings Set Made by Energy Suspension
Will these fit an EX though, says they're only for an Si.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I give up. I have tried those energy bushings, replacing the endlinks, switching from coilovers to stock back to coilovers. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry, I don't know how the ex is set up, I always assumed the suspension was typically the same other than the springs.
As for other alternatives? I would say anything else with bushings, control arm bushings, could be coming from the front maybe, balljoint. If Hondas fix to a version of the sound is for more washers then it could have something to do with the shock itself; just speculating.
Who knows maybe stronger endlinks?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
UPDATE:

I FINALLY figured out where my rear clunk was. On the lower shock mount on the control arm, The nonthreaded though hole was larger than the bolt itself. I fixed it by running a 12mm to 14mm sleeve in the hole. I will take pictures once I get the car in the air.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
UPDATE:

I FINALLY figured out where my rear clunk was. On the lower shock mount on the control arm, The nonthreaded though hole was larger than the bolt itself. I fixed it by running a 12mm to 14mm sleeve in the hole. I will take pictures once I get the car in the air.
Awesome. Because you totally lost me. Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE:

What brand of shock absorbers is it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts