8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to do bolt-ons, and I was gonna go for a race header, problem is that you do need motor mounts right? I don't want to install the mounts since I don't want to add any more vibration in the cabin. I'm riding on prokits and 18s, so the ride is pretty rough as it is. It's also my DD and I need it to be wife/kid-friendly.

So, does that mean I can't go for any header except the shorty headers? I was looking at go-power/vibrant w HFC/invidia before I saw the motor mounts issue.

Opinions/advice anyone?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting confused with this motor mounts thing, conflicting opinions among threads.

Anyway, so I just need a header with a flex pipe and I should be good? It won't hit the subframe or damage the header in the long run?

I don't track or dragrace or whatever. Just a little downshifting into VTEC now and then...well maybe every so often.:vtec:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
well i have had my DCRH on for a couple days know and really been gettin on it to see what i paid for i.e. 2nd gear downshifts, highway 4or3 gear downshifts....downshifting into vtec range...etc
regarding, hitting the subframe :scratches:, idk what i would be listening for...like a lound bang or clunk sound that is really noticeable, if so...then no i havent heard anything....
but then again when i downshift, i always revmatch so maybe that reduces the shock/flex backwards from the engine :shrug:...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I wanted to do bolt-ons, and I was gonna go for a race header, problem is that you do need motor mounts right? I don't want to install the mounts since I don't want to add any more vibration in the cabin. I'm riding on prokits and 18s, so the ride is pretty rough as it is. It's also my DD and I need it to be wife/kid-friendly.

So, does that mean I can't go for any header except the shorty headers? I was looking at go-power/vibrant w HFC/invidia before I saw the motor mounts issue.

Opinions/advice anyone?

OK mang, if you get a header without a flex pipe (see the skunk2 video), it will hit some crap under your car when the motor rocks back and forth (not good). To fix this issue, you can replace your motor mounts (torque mounts) with aftermarket ones, or you can make DIY ones by injecting them with various compounds.

Now, if you get a header with a flex pipe (or, better yet, 2 flex pipes), you shouldn't have any issue hitting crap under your car. However, some say that the flex pipes on DCRH's, for example, wear out and need to be replaced (bad). To avoid this you can go the motor mounts route, or say screw it and just have the flex pipe replaced when/if it blows out.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
andy or anyone else,
what r the chances of my DCRH having a flex pipe issue when it was installed brand new...
i didnt get that 3holed gasket to put on exhaust flange (dc forgot to send it) so i said screw it and finished install...is it really necessary? like could that be the cause for loud hissing known on raceheaders...i know its a normal thing but it sounds pretty loud...i can hear it with my hfp muffler

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
andy or anyone else,
what r the chances of my DCRH having a flex pipe issue when it was installed brand new...
i didnt get that 3holed gasket to put on exhaust flange (dc forgot to send it) so i said screw it and finished install...is it really necessary? like could that be the cause for loud hissing known on raceheaders...i know its a normal thing but it sounds pretty loud...i can hear it with my hfp muffler
I've read varying reports of the DCRH flex pipe failing. Some say it never does and the DCRH is great, some say its a POS and you'll have to replace the flex pipe multiple times. It depends on your area, and a multitude of other factors, I suppose.

As for the gasket, I think I'd get it and install it. That metal on metal contact can't be good long term.

It should be easy to tell if your flange or flex pipe is leaking. If you can't, bring it to a muffler shop and see if they can find a leak in those areas.

I just bought a set of used mounts with 35k-ish miles on them for like $70 and injected them with Window Weld (which I documented and will create a DIY from) so that I get the benefits of stiffer mounts, and in hopes of putting less stress on the used DCRH I bought.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK mang, if you get a header without a flex pipe (see the skunk2 video), it will hit some crap under your car when the motor rocks back and forth (not good). To fix this issue, you can replace your motor mounts (torque mounts) with aftermarket ones, or you can make DIY ones by injecting them with various compounds.

Now, if you get a header with a flex pipe (or, better yet, 2 flex pipes), you shouldn't have any issue hitting crap under your car. However, some say that the flex pipes on DCRH's, for example, wear out and need to be replaced (bad). To avoid this you can go the motor mounts route, or say screw it and just have the flex pipe replaced when/if it blows out.
Hmm in that case that leaves me with either the Vibrant or the INvidia as options since they have flex pipes right? Go Power doesn't have a flex pipe so that's out of the question then.

What header has two flex pipes though?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sorry about the thread jack, but would you just put the spring bolts where the header meets the exhaust if you were installing a header without the test pipe section? (like the Skunk2)
Yes you can do that. After doing some searching, some people are using them and some aren't. If you have them, might as well use them. If you have upgraded motor mounts or torque dampener you could get away without the spring bolts no problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts