8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it bad for your engine if you rev without the resistance of the gears (ex. neutral or with the clutch in)? I take my K20 up to 4500 regularly, what is it limited to, and should I avoid doing this?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You rev your engine in neutral to 4500rpm regularly? For what reason?

The issue with revving under no load is that the internal parts of the engine are unstressed, which results in the piston and connecting rods "slapping" against the bearings - under load it actually cushions this, and no slapping occurs. It's not going to damage your engine overnight, but over time, it will shorten your engines lifespan.

It is electronically rev limited (stock, anyway) to 5500rpm when you are stopped; 8200rpm when moving.

But stop doing this, it's stupid, and makes you look like a ricer (maybe you are?)

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
lol i love how civic drivers call other civic drivers ricers...

anyway, if ur not supposed to rev without the resistance of gears, how are u supposed to launch..?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

anyway, if ur not supposed to rev without the resistance of gears, how are u supposed to launch..?
so just because a person drives a civic means they're also a ricer? i drive an Si, but i drive it like an r18

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

It's the mindset, not the car, necessarily - if you read my post carefully you would have noticed the words "regularly" and "over time", meaning, if you are doing it just to rev at people, which if you're doing it for no reason at all, is rice, and will screw your engine up if you keep doing it like a moron.

Launching your car will **** it up no matter what though, so have fun with that. Time and place for everything, kiddies.

edit: btw, love the wing on the back of your VTi-L sedan, migo...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me rephrase before everybody starts throwing digs. Do I occasionally slap it up to 2500 when some rat pulls up next to me at a light? Yeah sure. What I was talking about was everytime I come down 113, the big ass hill as I come into town to get home, I don't brake, I just go from 5th or 6th right to 4th, and rev match so that I don't chew my clutch up. Is my rev matching (which at my normal speed) ends up being around 3500-4500, going to bang up my engine? Sorry for confusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts