8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,

We all know (or should know) that good tires are the single biggest and most noticeable improvement you can make to the handling, cornering, safety, braking of your car. The benefits of a good tire far outweigh any tuning or upgrades you could ever do to your suspension. They also serve to reduce braking distances, and keep you safe during emergency maneuvers.

So here is an early review of these tires that I just slapped on my factory wheels. I only have a couple hundred miles on them, so I'll update this post in a month or two.

In case you are curious, I had a blowout, and I figured I'd replace the stock All Season tires with these, mostly because the stockies were 180 bucks per tire!

-Performance-

*dry*
WOW, what an amazing difference. These tires have ENDLESS grip. And when I say endless, I mean it. I _cannot_ get these tires to squeel. On every turn I have thrown them at, they just grip and grip and grip. In fact, the tires grip so hard, that the suspension gives out before the tires do. Usually good suspension will highlight the quality of your tires, but in this instance its the reverse. These tires really show how soft the damping of the suspension is, and that the rear sway bar is much too soft. I would rate the cornering capabilities of these tires as SUPERB.

In regards to handling, there is a slightly heavier feel to the steering, and some of the initial turn-in response gets lost in translation. Overall, there is a sensation of slightly less agility over the stock Pilot's.

*wet*
Too early to tell, no wet weather yet. I'll update this after some rain.

-Comfort-

Surprisingly, these tires ride EXTREMELY comfortably. Bumps on the road are much less severe now, and the ride is greatly improved, more solid feeling, very reminiscent of those guys over in Bavaria.

-Noise-

These have to be the most quiet performance tires I have EVER owned, ever! They are 10 times quieter than the stock tires. Sweet!

-Treadlife-

Too early to tell, I'll update after a couple months.

-Conclusion-

So far these are the best tires I have ever owned, by a long shot. Other tires I have had (pilot's, dunlop sports, yokohama, nitto) have all had strengths, but many weaknesses. So far I can find no fault with these tires. The only observation I have, is that the steering does feel noticeably heavier than it did with the stock Pilot's. Perhaps due to the extra +2 lbs. of unsprung weight over the stockies? Overall the car requires more steering input, has a general feeling of heft, and doesn't feel as 'sharp' or 'agile' as it did with the pilots. However, given the extreme improvement in grip, comfort, and noise, this is an extremely small price to pay, and doesn't bother me at all. In fact, after reading up on how the tires are marketed for luxury/V.I.P. cars, I rather like the more solid, hefty feel the car has, as it reminds me very much of my 3 series. Given the fact that these tires were only $101 dollars per tire, and I got out the door for $499, I have nothing but praise. If these tires continue to perform as well as they are right now, and have a good tread-life, I will not hesitate to buy them again.

Basic specs are as follows:

model - AZENIS ST-115
Series - 215-45-17-ZR
Weight - 23.8 lbs (per tire)
Max pres. - 51 lbs (cold)
UTQG - 360-A-A

Full specs at:

http://www.falkentire.com/st115_sizes.html

-Freq

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The only thing concerning me about the RT615's is the heat performance. Especially on very hot days, as you saw eugenekim.net's car -- they don't do well when underinflated slightly, and really just wear quickly under hot conditions...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp I'll give em a shot, but I doubt they ride as quiet as these. So far, I couldn't ask for better street performance.

-Freq

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
awesome write up, was really interested in these tires and u just justified my reasons to buy em. thanks

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I currently own a pair of st115 and when I bought them It was actually raining outside. I "stomped" on the gas and they gripped like it was dry out. Crazy grip. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i got the fk-452s. they kinda look the same when it comes to threads. but i'll say i'm very satisfied with these tires! :thumb:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your impresed by those you should try out the RT615s
I'm sure they are great, but I'd rather have some wet weather performance. I can't really see how the 615s could out perform these on my car. This ST115 already goes way beyond the limits of my suspension, so without upgrades there, my car isn't going to handle any better.

-Freq

·
Registered
145 Posts
yea but the RT-615s will get you like 10k, 15k if you drive like a grandma, but whats the point in getting these tires if u do?

most people i know with RT615s dont make it pass 10k with them

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I currently own a pair of st115 and when I bought them It was actually raining outside. I "stomped" on the gas and they gripped like it was dry out. Crazy grip. :thumb:
not enough power... lol if your not spinning in the rain theres an issue

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Well..with the r18 they hooked pretty freaking quick. And seriously...the torque figures aren't that much apart. I was running 225/45/17

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
just bought this afternoon! Falken Azenis 245/40ZR18. i really like them. big difference!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts