8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when i have the ignition off i can put it in reverse, when i turn the key one click i can put it in. and the second click were the fuel pump primes ect ect, then im lockout of reverse? and when the cars running i cant put it into reverse, so when i stop at a gas station or anything i have to shut the car off to put in reverse then start it again. what could the problem be?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
my car is the same, except i have never turned it off to get in reverse. i find if you have hte car running let it go back to N, release clutch all the way and then step on it again and try to put it in R again but smoother. i jsut woke up so i'm sure thats a terrible explanation but i think the problem is that you really need to be extra smooth and accurate when trying to get into R. and if you still cant get it to work bring it to the dealer!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, like on other honda u have to drive forward a tish then try again, and it goes, but its not like that, when the car is off it goes in easy, goes in easy every time, besides when running and when ignition it on. so im geussing its a diffrent problem. and i normally do all my work myself, dealerships way to much. i just put a new lockout solenoid on it. the last one broke when i did my clutch install.. but i put it in the exact same way it came out. so im lost

·
Registered
970 Posts
yeah, like on other honda u have to drive forward a tish then try again, and it goes, but its not like that, when the car is off it goes in easy, goes in easy every time, besides when running and when ignition it on. so im geussing its a diffrent problem. and i normally do all my work myself, dealerships way to much. i just put a new lockout solenoid on it. the last one broke when i did my clutch install.. but i put it in the exact same way it came out. so im lost
If you do all your work yourself, you've bought the shop manuals?

Check the no 3 fuse in the under dash fuse/relay box.

Got a MIL? (Work on that.) (Especially any codes related to the output shaft speed sensor.)

Check the solenoid (you've done that) and the 2P connector to the solenoid.

Unfortunately, next is the suckage part, you need the HDS and start probing the ECM connector A for a signal.

It's possible you've got a bad ECM, but go with the more likely. You might have an open in the wire between the ECM (A27) and the reverse solenoid. Check for continuity there.

You really want to fix this. It's a safety issue. You don't want to have to shut off your car to put it in reverse. There may come a day when you need reverse *NOW*.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, thats true. the car doesnt get drivin daily so. but i looked at the hole wire harness, check all fused. and not throwing a single code.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill check the connection on the ecu see if the wire didnt somehow pull out of the pin.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any possable way the solenoid itself could be wrong? idk its a pretty simple job. and i got the spring and the rods and everything back were they were.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Since it works without power, you probably *DID* get the spring and rods and everything back where they were. And since you can't shift into reverse at *ANY* speed with the the power on, you pretty much know that the inhibitor solenoid is working.

But to test the functioning of the inhibitor solenoid is easy, just put +12V directly to it.

And get yourself the service manual already.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i can tell its working. i can feel it working when i put my fingure on it. but ill go check the voltage.. i did check connection on the ECU and they all looked good..

when i did the clutch install, that broke off, well once i put the clutch n what not back in. started it. hooked up FP and i threw like 5 codes. one being a voltage code. one being evap sensor malfuntion. one camshaft position sensor malfuntion. and cant remember what the others were. then i put this solenoid back in and everything went away and was fine. it was weird.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all ground i have double check. all other connectors iv checked. i put 1000 mile on the car like this. so idk kinda lost lol

·
Registered
970 Posts
OK, you've tried everything. I skipped outlining some of the steps in the service manual since you said you already had done them.

I'm reluctant to even mention this. Pull the no. 3 fuse, can you now shift into reverse with the power on? (You almost certainly will be able to.) This is for DEBUG purposes only! Don't give into the temptation of thinking this is a fix! You really don't want to be shifting into sixth at over 60 MPH and getting reverse instead.

The time has come. Get the service manual! The reverse solenoid lockout is covered in detail. Then try everything again.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
k pulled the fuse. and it does let me go in reverse then. BUT im throwing too code then to.
camshaft postion sensor circuit malfunction
electric load detector(ELD) circuit high voltage

·
Registered
1 Posts
car eable to enter reverse even when moving.

hey,

my car is a 2.2 i-cdti 2006 civic, i am having a problem with the same kind of thing and just wondered if anyone would have any idea whats going on, after i got my clutch changed im now able to go into reverse even when im driving forward, which i know was not the case before i left the car into the garage.

i brought it back to the guy but he said that he just undid two clips and disconnected two cables when doing my clutch and nothing else to do with the gears stick. he also said that the problem was inside the stick housing inside the car itself.

which to be fair i excepted and drove away thinking yano, on a 10 year old car it might just be wearing inside, but i since bought a hanyes workshop manual for the car and discovered its a solenoid that stopped you entering reverse when the car is moving.

now im not sure what it could be thats now allowing this to happen, but need to get it sorted soon before i have an accident trying to go into 6th on the motorway. ive checked the fuse and it is fine, replaced it anyways just to check and it is still happening.

i dont suppose does anyone else have any ideas?

thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts