8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I recently bought an 09 si and I've been noticing some issues with reverse. I took a look on the forum and from what I've read, the reverse isn't sychronized so you have to be stopped completely before shifting into reverse to prevent grinding. Cool, not an issue, I always stop hold the brake completely before I shift into reverse.... but this thing still grinds no matter what. Happens at least once a day, I'll be on completely flat ground, holding my brake, clutch pressed all the way down, shift into reverse GRRRRRRRR. Is my transmission messed up? I'm still in the process of doing all he maintenance of a new car (coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, oil/filter change, etc), so maaaaaybe(?) after I change the transmission fluid it'll be better? Anyone else run into this issue? I literally just got the thing and already it's proving to be a problem car. Bought it at 90k miles from the second owner in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
First thing I would check is you clutch pedal adjustment. It might not be disengaging 100% and causing it to grind.

is a video on how to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another thing - When you push in the clutch to go into reverse, wait at least a full second or two before putting it in reverse. It isn't like the rest of the gears where you can usually just slam them into gear.

Typical manual transmissions do not have a synchronizer for reverse, that is true.

First thing I would check is you clutch pedal adjustment. It might not be disengaging 100% and causing it to grind.
Wouldn't there have to be a lot of free play before that would be a problem, like so much that the clutch engage/disengage point would be close to the floor? I do not know how much free play is in a civic but I can't imagine it being that much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wouldn't there have to be a lot of free play before that would be a problem, like so much that the clutch engage/disengage point would be close to the floor? I do not know how much free play is in a civic but I can't imagine it being that much.
You aren't wrong. When I my 06 last summer the engagement point was very close to the floor. I would get 2nd gear lock out at high RPMs. I don't know why it was so out of adjustment as it was a completely stock car and was only worked on at Honda dealers, at least that the previous owner said. I also didn't notice a lot of free play. The clutch felt normal other than the low engagement point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts