8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
the limiter is there to keep from bad things happening.

so flapping the needle up against it every now and again isn't really going to hurt anything...but i wouldn't exactly make a habit of it, at the same time.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
go to search....

and type "I did something bad today"

a thread should pop up...with this guy hitting the limiter.

bottomline....nothings gonna happen other than engine sounding louder (higher clicking rate and vibration)

ur lucky that ur limiter hits at 8100...i wish mine did.

oh and IBMFL///// I presume u lost the race

·
Registered
59 Posts
it won't hurt it. i know a guy who has Hondata and changed his rev limiter to 9000. So he revs up to 9000 all the time...it's no worse than sitting there hitting the launch limiter...just fuel cut my friend. Sounds pretty cool when you hit the limiter if you ask me...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
i never really hit it that much. In fact in barely hit vtec that much but when i do it seems like its much easier to shift into some of the lower gears.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
i was in second and i switched at 8100 but the rev limiter kicked in so i guess i went over...how bad is it for the engine if the limiter kicks in?

I've done it a couple of times. The rev limiter kicks in and the fuel is shut off. I know you feel sick at the moment and all sorts of bad things pop up in your mind, but you should be fine. Times like that help you to remember to stay focused when in VTEC. You will be fine. Relax. Take a deep breath and enjoy your Si. :wavey:

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
hitting the limiter is like everyone else said OK... don't worry about it...

i've hit my limiter more times than i can count... (on purpose most of the time)

a few months after i bought my car i accidentally went from 6th to 3rd... i was aiming for 5th... and the rpms flew up... when i got to work i hooked it up to the scanner and it said i took it to 9200rpms for 1.x seconds... never any problems with my car...

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
hitting the limiter is like everyone else said OK... don't worry about it...

i've hit my limiter more times than i can count... (on purpose most of the time)

a few months after i bought my car i accidentally went from 6th to 3rd... i was aiming for 5th... and the rpms flew up... when i got to work i hooked it up to the scanner and it said i took it to 9200rpms for 1.x seconds... never any problems with my car...

what was the jerk like ?

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
what was the jerk like ?
i was cruising in 6th then i wanted to go to 5th so i could change lanes... as i put it in 3rd i came off the clutch and saw the rpms fly up past what the tach reads... :eek:hnoes:... was my first thought... but after i found out i only took it to 9200rpms i was ok with it... b/c i know these cars with mild modding can be taken to 9k all day long... and one stock 9k won't hurt at all...

sorry for not answering ur question... i honestly don't remember the jerk... it was so long ago...

·
Registered
479 Posts
i was cruising in 6th then i wanted to go to 5th so i could change lanes... as i put it in 3rd i came off the clutch and saw the rpms fly up past what the tach reads... :eek:hnoes:... was my first thought... but after i found out i only took it to 9200rpms i was ok with it... b/c i know these cars with mild modding can be taken to 9k all day long... and one stock 9k won't hurt at all...

sorry for not answering ur question... i honestly don't remember the jerk... it was so long ago...
i accidently went into 2nd at 60-65.... definately scared the hell outta me. ive always had manual cars and never did that before lol. i dont think i had the clutch fully engaged though before i realized that the RPMs werent stopping, but id still like to know how high i revved it. Does the ecu log everytime the redline is passed or something?

·
Registered
11,889 Posts

the power of Honda mate :thumb:

thanks for sharing ur experience ... haha

this car scares me from time to time

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
i accidently went into 2nd at 60-65.... definately scared the hell outta me. ive always had manual cars and never did that before lol. i dont think i had the clutch fully engaged though before i realized that the RPMs werent stopping, but id still like to know how high i revved it. Does the ecu log everytime the redline is passed or something?
the ecu logs information for a certain amount of mileage... i forgot how much... but it's a few hundred or so... that's how they know when sum1 puts a hole in their block then takes it in saying "idk happened i was just driving and i heard this noise" :pat: they plug it right up and read everything u did while driving... it can read the gear, rpms, time, mph, umm a few other things i forget... u get the idea tho...

·
Registered
928 Posts
rev limiter is fine and kinda annoying, haha, but what everyone should be afraid of is fuel cut, thats where your engine just LOCKS UP, and things get damaged. a miss shift would cause you to hit the fuel cut

1 - 20 of 31 Posts