8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is hitting the rev limiter something i'd DEFINITELY feel or know was happening? cause getting on the high way i got stuck behind a truck going down the on ramp, so i down shifted to 2nd to coast behind it and then blasted off around him when we got on the highway. now i was still switching lanes so i wasn't paying attention to the tach. i hit vtec under and overpass with the windows and sunroof down (it was a beautiful sound!) and when i was in my lane and clear to look down i could have sworn the tach was at like 8500! so i quickly shifted to 3rd. i didn't feel any bucks or hear any loud sounds other than vtec? i was definitely into the redline when i shifted though.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
you were not looking at it correctly. and yes u will know when you hit the rev limiter. the car will shutter for a second.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
usakicksass said:
I was reading the new "type R" for europe and japan hits v-tec at 5400 rpm.
i hit it at 4500.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
we can do it too with hondata LOL

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
haha. sorry its new and i love it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i didn't feel any bucks or shutters. i must have been RIGHT below it because i was pretty far into the redline.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
i hit it at 4500.:thumb:
me too! well......... not yet :sadwavy: soon though!

anyways its impossible to rev past 8500 UNLESS you mis-shift, which a fuel cutoff cannot prevent

and yes you'll know when the car hits the limiter... its wise to shift right before the fuel cutoff for maximum power

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, no mis shift involved, i just held 2nd too long. i usually shift before it even gets to the redline.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
shutter13 said:
yea so you must have just looked at it incorrectly
thats what im thinking.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was just a quick glance, cause i mean i was moving pretty quick by then. but it was dipped well into the red. it LOOKED like it was past 8200 where the limiter would kick in. heres a question, does the tach needle keep going at all even after you're off the gas and put the clutch in? other than that maybe it was just my brain playing tricks, cause it knows that thing moves quick and it was on it's way forward when i saw it.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
its your brain playing tricks. when i shift at 8600 it sometimes look like 9k. if you actually look at it it looks normal. i about flipped when i saw 9k but took a double take and realixed it was 8600

·
Registered
563 Posts
He's not crazy. Our tachs are not entirely accurate. I've gone deep into the 8s before too. It's not your head, your tach is probably 200rpms off.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
dnbsi said:
no, no mis shift involved, i just held 2nd too long. i usually shift before it even gets to the redline.

no one will believe u....
same way no one believed me going past 8500....

yes...its all in ur head...thats what people will tell u.... they must think wer on drugs.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Yes you'll feel it. Your call (at least to me) feels like it just turns off. You go from being pulled to nothing, which causes you to move forward in your seat a bit.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vetkiller said:
He's not crazy. Our tachs are not entirely accurate. I've gone deep into the 8s before too. It's not your head, your tach is probably 200rpms off.
how could it be 200rpm off? my vtec crosses over right at 5800 (sound change) 6000 (pull)

i feel like it really might be your brain playing tricks, because i took a small vid of me shifting and when i was doing it i felt like i was really close to redline, but watching the vid i'm really not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
what happen if u misshift, shifting down gear like from 5th to 4th and it was in the rev limiter. Will that cause a major problem to my car??? or will the engine wear and tear faster or something???

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
^^^its possible you'll blow your motor in extreme cases. You could mess up your valves, burn up some piston rings. This is unlikely going from fifth to fourth though. You'd be more at risk if you were cruising in sixth on the highway and try to downshift to fourth, but took second. Something along those lines...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts