8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So many people have requested a DIY made for reupholstering the headliner. This is as close as I can remember how to do it. Anyone else who has done it and thinks of a step I'm missing or anything please speak up. Yes I know at the moment there aren't any pictures, I'm on my iPhone right now and at work so I can't really post pictures now. I will when I get home and get my photobucket sorted out. Here's the steps:

1) get a couple buddies (trust me it is so much easier and more fun with buddies to help u out or chat or whatever)

2) one door at a time remove the rubber weather stripping from the top and sides, leave the bottom attached
3) remove the front pillars on driver and passenger side. The part nearest the dash will pull off toasted the center of the car. There should be 2 of those tabs, then at the top of the pillar, near the roof, you will have to pivot the pillar and pull down. There is a white plastic pin holding the pillar to the side of the car.
4) take off the seat belt screw cover from the bottom of the passenger and drivers seats
5) unscrew the seat belt from both seats
6) pull the grey plastic part forward towards the center of the car
7) pull the seatbelt thru the hole
8) remove the rear pillars. Much the same as the front pillars. Pull the part closest to the rear dash out, and look out for the white pin at the top. Swing the pillar towards the center and pull down
9) now that u have the pillars removed take a break
10) remove the sun visors. Take off the cover where the visor pivots on. Then unscrew the two screws showing. Pull the visor off. Take the piece that the visor snaps to, and twist 90 degrees and pull down
11) use a small screwdriver and pry off the interior light covers. Underneath them there will 2 bolts, both in the front and rear lights. Don't forget about the rear. After taking out the bolts pull the lights down and disconnect the wires from the fixture
12) to take off the "holy ****" handles, pull it down then using a small screwdriver take off the covering that looks like it is holding it to the car. Then using two screw drivers pinch the metal piece together and pull the one side of the handle off. Repeat for the other side of the handle. Now take the metal pieces out. Repeat for all handles
13) now to remove the actual headliner. Pull on the edges of it (from each door all at the same time) it will seem to just pop right off. It is held on by 2 plastic pins in the rear and 2 in the front. If u have a sunroof the the area around the sunroof is held on by velcro or at least mine was
14) to get the headliner out of the car was incredibly difficult to say the least. But if u have a sedan u must crease it a tiny bit (make sure u have the front seats tilted back all the way and pushed back as far as possible) and pull/push it out the front passenger door

15) if u have a sunroof be prepared for a big pain in the ass. You will see 4 cords/pipes/rub running to your sunroof and away from your sunroof. Disconnect them from the sunroof. Then remove the bolts holding the sunroof to the roof of the car *be barefoot the glass will come down too and Ita not light* (tip: have your seats raised normally now and balance the sunroof on the headrests of the seats). Now pull your sunroof cover all the way forward. Tilt your sunroof back. Now using a small screwdriver (must be angled) unscrew the slider from the rear of the sunroof cover. I Disnt find a great way to remove the front slider, I kinda broke mine :(

16) now that u have everything removed take another break
17) I used 3M super 77 adhesive to stick my fabric to my headliner. Mine didnt turn out quite like I was hoping but it's good enuf. I cannot stress enuf how much time you should take with this step. Make sure that the new liner is pressed into every crack and crevice and nice and snug to the original headliner.

18) using sandpaper or ateel wool, scuff up the plastic pieces and paint them whichever color your choose. Make sure you clear coat them after. Do more then a single coat of clear on the seat belt part. Seriously. Mine is scratched up already. Put at least 3 or more coats on.*
19) using adhesive attach your chosen fabric to your sunroof cover
20) trim all areas to make sure that handles, and lights and visors can be reinstalled
21) do the opposite of how you took everything out, and put it all back in

22) take a much deserved break and post some pictures!*

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
updated with a few pictures. sorry for the quality, they are all taken with my phone. i'll take a few more pics and post them in the next couple days

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
total cost for my headliner and sunroof cover was about $60 CDN. The entire process took me two weeks, but i only did it on weekends because i was in school during this time. probably took about two days from first pulling off to drying to reinstalling

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
nice. im planning on doing this to my cobalt, i want to black out the interior. did you cover the visors too?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had some left over black material, so i glued that to the visor part where the fabric is, and painted the rest black. i'll take pics of those too and post them up when i get home later tonight

1 - 20 of 55 Posts