8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retrofit Parts

I am really considering getting a retro fit but I have some questions and concerns. I know that I could send my lights off the customlightz and they will provide the projectors and ballasts and such, but is it easier buying all that on your own and shipping it to them??? I am looking into getting tsx projectors, S2000 shrouds (i know these are scarce right now). If i did buy everything on my own what are the best parts to get (ballasts, blubs...etc). Just need a push in the right direction.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
I am really considering getting a retro fit but I have some questions and concerns. I know that I could send my lights off the customlightz and they will provide the projectors and ballasts and such, but is it easier buying all that on your own and shipping it to them??? I am looking into getting tsx projectors, S2000 shrouds (i know these are scarce right now). If i did buy everything on my own what are the best parts to get (ballasts, blubs...etc). Just need a push in the right direction.

Thank you.
I bought all the parts and had them shipped to customlightz. I'd say its actually easier for them if you do that. They only have so many things in stock at any given time, so you may not get as fast results as you would like.

Also, the bulbs and ballasts and whatnot, while you can get from them... they do not install them (unless youre lucky enough to be near them)

So, things you need to send them:
Projectors
Shrouds
Headlights

Thats all they really need.

good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what ballasts are good, i see people use all different type around here, also what bulbs are the best to use....

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
what ballasts are good, i see people use all different type around here, also what bulbs are the best to use....
I just bought the Klight 4300K HID kid that had everything. You can find it on ebay... and its actually a good kit.

Buying parts seperately you can probably end up with a better overall setup, but i dont know much about that. thats why i bought a kit

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
If you're trying to save money, you can just buy the sponsor's kit. Otherwise, if you haven't bought anything, the best bet is always OEM.

Basically, if you've got the money and want the best, OEM will always be better.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
Man I just sold some mitsubishi ballasts for 60 bucks.
your best bet are the hella gen3 since they are water-proof, weather proof and not polarity sensitive.
Projectors: s2000 is the king. TSX comes second then third comes the fx with clear-lense swap and with the fx you get the bixenon function(hi and low beam projector in one)!

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Our car doesnt have OEM HID parts.... or are you talking about getting the OEM HIDs from a TSX or another car?
When you go retrofit, you pretty much are staying OEM and that's why it's better lighting than anything. So yes, you would be buying OEM ballasts and bulbs to match your TSX projectors. You could also buy other car brand's ballasts and bulbs though, you don't have to stick to just TSX's.

As long as the bulb is D2S, it will fit inside the TSX projector.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
When you go retrofit, you pretty much are staying OEM and that's why it's better lighting than anything. So yes, you would be buying OEM ballasts and bulbs to match your TSX projectors. You could also buy other car brand's ballasts and bulbs though, you don't have to stick to just TSX's.

As long as the bulb is D2S, it will fit inside the TSX projector.
Ok, yea.... i dont know why but I thought when you said 'OEM' the first time you meant the OEM parts specifically for our FG/FAs and i was like 'uhhh.... no?' lol. :popcorn:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about a harness how does this all get wired up??? Is there a DIY for that? How do the ballasts get powered?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry if i am dumb but how to the ballasts get powered? does the existing cord that plugs into the light plug into the ballast somehow?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I use the Denso/Koito slim ballast. Just enough room UNDER the headlight to fit snugly there and away from water and the elements. That said, I also hardcore velcroed and zip tied one to the bottom of the driver side, so it's technically a part of the headlight housing. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts