8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just finished washing my car about an hour ago.i have a retro fitted headlights with tsx projectors.but anyways, took it for a spin and stopped by to get gas. on my way home i noticed that the light isnt as bright as it use to be. from the reflection of the car infront of me i noticed that my left headlight was down but the other side is still working. i stopped and looked and gave it a tap and it turned back on. but then on my way home it turned off again.i ran over the bumps in the middle of the street and it lets it turn on an off. seems like something is loose? does anyone happend to know the cause of this? any solution? thanks for taking the time to read the post. thanks for the help also.hope to hear a reply soon cuz i have to take a long trip to so cal tommorow and im hoping this wont hold me back from my trip.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
yeah that's a loose connection. It happens when things are not tightly secured.
What is your whole setup?
TSX projectors and what else?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be honest im not quite sure of the set up. i bought it second hand from a fellow 8th civic buddy.ive been using it for nearly 5 months now and i love it! i even turn it on during the day for the hell of it lol.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
when you installed them, did they look like any of these?

where are the ballasts mounted?
did it rain before it stopped working?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
striker_1818 said:
did it rain before it stopped working?
he did say he washed his car...so that would do it.

off topic...striker, i have 2 identical bulbs ballast and projectors for my retro and the pass. side is much more dim than thedrivers side. can this be related to a bad power connection to the ballast? do you think if i go clean up teh wiring and make the connectiosn stonger that it could get brighter? its benn bothering me for a while and i finally want to do somthign about it,lol

thanks in advance

/end thread jack

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, the set up looks just like that. yeah it rained like yesterday and the sun was completey out later the day and no reports of raining any time soon so i washed my car.its been working completely ok for over 4 months now. thanks for the help so far bro. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
ahh denso ballasts if not properly placed where water can get in, then they will be damaged. Whenever you wash your car or it rains and the ballasts has been sitting there and upong turning it on, they don't, you gotta turn them off quickly and an hour for them to dry abit. Sometimes, they will turn back on and lasts you less time due to water getting inside even though its dry it will cause rust.
You have to waterproof your ballasts or place them somewhere safe away from water.

·
Registered
630 Posts
He has a good harness, I should know because I made it. Also, the parts are all stock (denso ballast), tsx projectros and new bulbs. However, the water sounds like the culprit. And since the ballst is the only thing that can get damaged from water... why not swap ballasts just to make sure, i.e. left to right, and see if the issue persists. If so but on the other side, you should buy a new ballast, not the end of the world, just be more careful when washing the car. Make sure all the fuses are secure as well.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
any more info on water proofing Denso ballasts? I thought about buying some foil tape at Home Depot (the kind used for ducts/roof flashing)... but decided against it in case the metal in the tape caused some kind of interference. Here is where I mounted them:

sorry for the thread jack.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I have mind just to the side next to yours, Lumbergh, right in front of the coolant tank. Almost two years with them there, and no problems for me, even with washing the car like I do and rain.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Izzy said:
I have mind just to the side next to yours, Lumbergh, right in front of the coolant tank. Almost two years with them there, and no problems for me, even with washing the car like I do and rain.
Thanks, you all got me worried for a minute there... that ledge I put them on is right next to the fenders, and just below the gap between the bumper and the headlights. I did see some water spots in there, but was hoping that not very much ever actually makes it in there. I'm not really looking forward to taking that friggin bumper off again, but will do what it takes if "waterproofing" is a smart decision. Maybe I'll wait a week or 2 so I can cool off from the frustration of getting the bumper back on with no gaps... lol.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Yeah, if the ballasts fail, I want to try that other slim ballast. I may have an idea to mount them somewhere, depending on the length of the cord. Lining up the bumper is always a pain, but I think I have it down to a science, how many times I had to do it. :D

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
When you are using Denso ballasts. You have to flip them upside down so water wont get in. Esp if you have them underneith your headlight. Water will still get back there when you was you car or when it rains. The drainoff goes to that area. When I had mine I did not flip mine over, then I realized where the water goes.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Stick it up into the fender and zip tie it to one of the cords up there. Thanks what I did and my ballast have never seen water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts