8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

A little background, I currently work 2 jobs, one is for a cellphone company (fulltime) and one for an IT company (part time)

I recently got hired for both, the cellphone company pays a little over 10 bucks an hour while the IT company pays 15 an hour starting. I really love working with the people in my first job however I really dislike the management (19 year old girl as a supervisor instead of a really experienced person - co worker of mine) What I basically do there is test at least 50 cellphones a day so it can be quite hectic.

My second job is for an IT company which supervises online lawschools (we basically built the whole platform and supporting it). So what basically happened is that, now they're hiring for a full time tech (they know I have another job so that's probably why they didn't offer me directly) and I really love working at this company and it's a one step forward towards my goal of becoming financial independent with less hours (Currently work 12.5 hours a day). Oh and they're offering 25 an hour for this full time position.

I already emailed the HR stating my interest in the position.

What I would need help with is a good reason to leave my 1st job and how do I go about doing this? It's a start up company with 30 employees.

I am 23 years old and really not experienced in resigning

Thanks !

·
Registered
167 Posts
You don't want to " burn any bridges" so I would explain to them that I was offered a full-time position at my other job and I tell them the pay that was offered. If the truly value your work they may offer you more, but not likely. Also if that is the case put a two week notice in. It would not hurt to write out a letter of resignation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it really depends on the title of the position. A non-executive person in a company does not need a letter of resignation. Since you're just a tech, give them your two weeks notice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I guess I'll just have to come in and sit with the HR and tell him about my plan. I'll draw up a letter just in case, so is the "I am leaving for a better opportunity" good enough?

·
Registered
337 Posts
You don't want to " burn any bridges" so I would explain to them that I was offered a full-time position at my other job and I tell them the pay that was offered. If the truly value your work they may offer you more, but not likely. Also if that is the case put a two week notice in. It would not hurt to write out a letter of resignation.
This. Google examples of letters if you need help. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Thanks guys I guess I'll just have to come in and sit with the HR and tell him about my plan. I'll draw up a letter just in case, so is the "I am leaving for a better opportunity" good enough?
I think that should work great. The best policy is honesty. Just tell them the truth and they'll understand. Tell them you're thankful for the opportunity to work there, but another opportunity has opened up. You can write a letter, but I don't think you'll need one.

If you're just a rep at a cell phone store I don't think you'd have to give them 2 weeks notice, unless your position is super vital and they'll need to replace you with someone else right away.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you love working your first job, I'm sure that has been evident to your boss over time. If you're a good worker and they're not a complete ****, then just be honest with them and they'll probably be understanding and supportive of your decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go out in a blaze of glory

Just kidding!! Be honest with them and give them two weeks and actually show up for those two weeks and work them like you mean it. I hate it when people put in their two weeks and call in for half of it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts