8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone would know the service schedule if i have not been using the computerized maintenance thingy. i usually do the oil and filter every 5000 kms and my mechanic resets the meter at around 40% so it doesnt give the computer a chance to let me know a or b service etc
can anyone help with this.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
You should use search on this subject cause it's been covered many times. But for me, I change my oil when the wrench icon comes on and thats always around 15% oil life. Sometimes I wait to change it around 5% or 0%.

I wait till I reach 5K miles. I don't know why you are having your oil changed at 40%. How many miles do you have? With these cars, you really only have to change the oil and filter and maybe the AIR filter and cabin air filter. These cars are lasting so you really don't have to do such HUGE changes untill you start reaching 70K, 80K, 90K+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mechanic suggested doing it every 5000 kms or every 3 months and he said it helps prolong the life of the car .

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
my mechanic suggested doing it every 5000 kms or every 3 months and he said it helps prolong the life of the car .
it takes you 3 months to reach 5 thousand miles? Hah! it takes me 5.5 to 6 months to reach 5K miles on my Si coupe. I keep truckin till the 15% oil life meter comes on. Sometimes it comes on at around 4500 miles but I like to stretch it till 5K so I can change it then. But yeah, I only change my oil 2 times a year cause thats how long it takes my oil life meter to reach 15% and the wrench comes on. I don't do much driving with my car. It's an 07 with 30K miles on it. about to be 31K. my oil life meter right now actually is at 5% cause I'm trying to stretch it till 5K from my last change. The 15% wrench actually came on around 4300 miles ago. but I like to change it every 5K. it won't hurt it. I just don't vtec my Si with old oil. I bought Mobil 1 Extended performance oil this time around to try it out cause I read TONS of threads on how thats Mobil 1's best and most pure synthetic oil. I was using their regular 5w30 that wasn't EP. I feel good about this oil change coming up.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
the last time i let my maintenance minder get to 15% i was at almost 9k miles on the oil change. how do you have it get to 15 % so quick? are you doing only city driving or something?

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
the last time i let my maintenance minder get to 15% i was at almost 9k miles on the oil change. how do you have it get to 15 % so quick? are you doing only city driving or something?
yes, if you're talking to me then yes, I only drive in the city. My Si has NEVER seen the interstate.....never. The maint minder is supposed to be pretty perfect and sync with how you drive. I vtec like maybe 5 times a month too. I know people that vtec everyday. If you drive hard, your 15% OLM will pop up sooner than later. Like 4K. I stop driving my car hard when I reach 20% Oil life. So that I can reach 5K cause at 20% Oil life, my miles are at about 4200. I try and milk my miles till it reaches 5k so I can change it. sometimes that takes me to bring my % to either 5% or 0%. I've even waited till -5% to change my oil cause I wanted to reach 5K. But so far all my oil change intervals have been pretty sync and close to 5K. I wonder if it will be different now when I do this coming up oil change cause I'm going to use Mobil 1's Extended Performance blend. Thats more synthetic than their regular syn blend. Atleast is what I have read on this site.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
just wondering if the maintenance minder in the si calculates oil life quicker than that in the r18? meaning does it take less time for it to go down?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts