8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c hasn't been working since last summer. I live in New England so it's okay. My mechanic thinks a/c compressor is bad and quoted me this:

Used compressor: $200
Labor $200
A/c Recharge including parts: $160
$560.

While I would merrily continue driving the car as is, I have been told that the stuck compressor clutch may cause problems with the drivetrain at some point. I don't want it to take any other pumps/pulleys out.

So...I would like to reroute the belt to exclude the a/c entirely. Is this safe to do and would I need a belt of different size now?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't post the year or model of your car.... but on my 09 DX with A/C I was able to use the belt for an 09 DX without A/C successfully. ( its a shorter belt ) I ran mine for the winter months this way until I could replace the compressor clutch. I had no problems with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The belt I used was a Napa 070644. ( for a 09 DX 1.8L without A/C ) I've used Dayco belts before and never had a problem. Check the book for the correct belt routing as there seems to be two different routes, depending upon the model year, early model years and late model years.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Dayco belts are good, just don't use the DR line because we had so many of those come to the store defective that we nicknamed it Dry Rot series.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you are concerned about the a/c clutch causing issues down the road, you can disable the clutch from ever engaging by pulling the a/c relay, or by unplugging the a/c field coil.

Unless the a/c pulley bearing fails, I can't see how doing the above could ever harm the belt or other pulleys/bearings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shawnhu: That's a great suggestion. I don't think that the pulley is bad, but the clutch might be having issues. Can you tell me the location of the a/c relay? Is there a fuse that I need to take out?

Another general question: Does one need a/c to defog the windows and windshield? In any case, I haven't had a working a/c in more than a year and haven't had any issues yet, so I am guessing no.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
^^^

(1) under hood fuse box, Compressor relay = picture of a snowflake illustration. Very tight fit.

(2) Use heat, and crack windows when possible. (with A/C inop it may be better)

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's the #12 fuse in the diagram. Without the diagram, it is the front-most relay in a line of 4 relays. You'll notice a black, green, green, black set of relays in the center of the relay pack. The one closest to the front bumper is #12

A/C helps defog the windows, but it's not required. There may be a fuse to disable the A/C system, but removing the relay would be best IMO.

Shawnhu: That's a great suggestion. I don't think that the pulley is bad, but the clutch might be having issues. Can you tell me the location of the a/c relay? Is there a fuse that I need to take out?

Another general question: Does one need a/c to defog the windows and windshield? In any case, I haven't had a working a/c in more than a year and haven't had any issues yet, so I am guessing no.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you have an SI then speak up. I have an A/C bypass belt part number. Yes, A/C helps for defrosting but if you are in New England then I assume you start your car and let it warm before racing down the road. My A/C compressor itself locked up and lo and behold, fixing it would have been putting good money into bad.

/car will fog up if you park in the submarine races
//If so, step out after and have a smoke while the car de-fogs
///just saying

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MattalliSI: Not a SI, but a LX. To me, simply removing the a/c relay to disable the a/c sounds better than rerouting the belt. Unless of course, the compressor clutch is already stuck and interfering with the pulley.

I can't believe that even with used parts, a/c fix runs into $600. It would not be a wise move to put that kind of money while living in New England. If I was in Texas, that would be an entirely different story.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
MattalliSI: Not a SI, but a LX. To me, simply removing the a/c relay to disable the a/c sounds better than rerouting the belt. Unless of course, the compressor clutch is already stuck and interfering with the pulley.

I can't believe that even with used parts, a/c fix runs into $600. It would not be a wise move to put that kind of money while living in New England. If I was in Texas, that would be an entirely different story.
Agreed. They need to charge to 'discharge' the leaking A/C then cost to replace defective parts, then you need new drier elements and the machine to vacuum to low pressure and then hit it with refrigerant.

Sorry for the non-8th Gen link but this guy sums it up nicely. You can rent A/C vacuums at Autozone if you put the cash out front ($500 rent a tool) and do it yourself if so motivated.
[FAQ] How-To: Charge your A/C air conditioner conditioning system at home - Honda-Tech
I caught a lot of hell on this website for no A/C but I don't live in California. People in Northern Michigan don't have A/C units in there houses not do people in Texas all have heaters. May be two A/C units but no heater. Each his own.

I own a bunch of cars and the A/C clutches tend to rust up since the condensation has nowhere to go. I rotate my motors of cars that sit but sometimes the A/C clutches freeze. Good DYI's on here but most cars have A/C delete pulley and belt combo's.

I guess the Honda crowd is a little more high brow than typical vehicle owners.:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Easy enough to unplug the relay. Then use a breaker bar and rotate your motor to see if the A/C clutch spins. Or you can turn the key and see the smoke as it spins past the A/C frozen clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have an SI then speak up. I have an A/C bypass belt part number. Yes, A/C helps for defrosting but if you are in New England then I assume you start your car and let it warm before racing down the road. My A/C compressor itself locked up and lo and behold, fixing it would have been putting good money into bad.

///just saying
I have a 07 SI 2.0L. Need the belt to bypass the a/c. Pulley and compressor is locked up. Did this last night. Trying to save up for the almost $700 to fix. As it has to be done by a mechanic

·
Registered
1 Posts

///just saying
What is the part number for the si bypass belt?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts