8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

My 2011 Honda Civic Coupe EX has been having issues with the radio; it flickers and makes a popping noise and switches from AUX to AM/FM to CD inputs. I am planning to replace the radio with either a used OEM, or with a less expensive aftermarket radio/CD player. Although, I'm not sure if I'll lose the audio quality if I replace the radio with the aftermarket radio, and not the OEM, as the EX model comes with a subwoofer and more speakers. Thank you.

P.S: This is the aftermarket radio I'm considering.

·
Super Moderator
2,608 Posts
That radio you listed will DESTROY your factory radio (when new). Crutchfield is awesome and they will supply you (or suggest) with everything you will need for a successful installation! Because you have the factory amp, you might need some sort of bypass or whatever. Good luck

·
Registered
08 civic si coupe
54 Posts
When I replaced mine, I ended up rewiring everything and taking out all the old stuff. Not that hard, just takes time. You might also have an anti-theft unit attached also. You will want to remove that also. It made my horn honk everytime I turned the ignition on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just keep in mind that screen is not going to look as nice as in the photos - 6.2 800x480 is more like DS Lite than iPhone, you will need to get some extra wire and, unless you are ok with a soldering iron, posi connectors, if you steering wheel controls - you will likely lose those. I would also expect that if you have any stations with iffy reception - you'll lose those.
Installation itself, if it's just the head unit, is super easy - the car comes apart like Lego. It's prep, wiring, and locating components that take time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Everyone.

My 2011 Honda Civic Coupe EX has been having issues with the radio; it flickers and makes a popping noise and switches from AUX to AM/FM to CD inputs. I am planning to replace the radio with either a used OEM, or with a less expensive aftermarket radio/CD player. Although, I'm not sure if I'll lose the audio quality if I replace the radio with the aftermarket radio, and not the OEM, as the EX model comes with a subwoofer and more speakers. Thank you.

P.S: This is the aftermarket radio I'm considering.
I would opt for an upgrade beyond a bluetooth-only model, ideally something with CarPlay (CP) and Android Auto (AA). Lots of choices out there, albeit with a premium over bluetooth with a screen. I did my 2006 Civic LX Sedan with a wireless CP and AA Pioneer unit and have enjoyed it. Everything I've read about after market upgrades, at least of these units that have CP/AA, have noted improvement over stock systems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I swapped mine for an Android with a big screen,,, easy swap plug and play,, great quality, and I'm super happy with the result. It's a Kunfine, made in China. Do some research on this unit, you may have to switch a pin, or a wire color,, it's all in the reviews and I think I also did an easy solder on a wire to make it a solidly legit install,,,, like I said I'm really happy with this unit,,,, I still have all my steering wheel controls,, use my factor amp,, and I could even install a digital antenna and watch TV if I wanted to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts