8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, my Fiji Blue Si coupe was raped (read: hit) in a residential area by some asshat who didn't leave a note. The damage wasn't bad, but I just got it repaired.

Now, I have been told that when you have a car part repainted (aka not from the factory) you shouldn't wax it for like several weeks to a few months. Is this true?

If so, I'm really concerned, because it's the middle of winter in Michigan/Minnesota, and snow and salt are not my friend.

If you guys know, please let me know so I can get some sleep tonight.

Happy Holidays, everybody.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Mike, conventional wisdom says to wait and let the paint cure. How long depends on the experts, but I would say at least a month if not more. Found this on a site after googling it:

Keep in mind that both organic and polymer waxes should NOT be applied to freshly painted finishes for at least 90 days as they inhibit the paints ability to breath during the curing process.

BMW Heritage » Waxing Your Car

Glad to see your gorgeous FBP Si is back in top notch form. Try to keep the area washed and free from salt. That is about all that you can do for now.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Also PPF shouldn't be applied to fresh paint either.

Almost all paints take at least 30 days before the final cross linking has occurred (this even includes the latex paint you did your bedroom with) and it is finally cured.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Dont wax it... You should wait at least 3 months for it to cure...

If you wax it now, it will start peeling in the future and its bad for the new paint.

Good idea for protection but waxing when it just got painted is bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey everyone, my car was just repainted as well. I understand that waxing is not a good idea, but can I use polish? I want to hit the new paint (3 weeks old) with some Griot's machine polish #4. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Hey everyone, my car was just repainted as well. I understand that waxing is not a good idea, but can I use polish? I want to hit the new paint (3 weeks old) with some Griot's machine polish #4. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!
I'd just leave it for awhile until the paint fully cures. Let the car sit out in the sun to help cure it. Personally, I wouldn't polish anything for a couple of months.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yeah I'd wait until spring. Typically you want to give it 4-6 weeks but since it's cold I'd give it longer. You can use a polish as long as it doesn't have any type of protectant in it, that way it should still allow the paint to breath.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I did find some discussion on the Meguiar's website about some of their products and how they can be used immediately after a body shop has painted a car. I am going to be out of town for a while anyway, so I might as well just wait until I get back to hit the polish.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.