8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

381 - 391 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
yup this is what i did and my intake temp stayed cooled during hot summer days
and car being heatsoak is not fun

This mod worked great for me before I purchased and installed an aftermarket system...

Even got my first tune with it but I took the time to create a smooth inlet from the chamber in the front bumper into the air funnel...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feel a little more response but it seemed to quiet down the Vtec kick very little. other than that other benefits is its another alternative instead of chopping up your intake like all the others do. I havent found any cons to it yet other than the Resonator is now taking up space in my garage.haha
I did this and I could tell a difference. Plus sounds nice when :vtec: pops!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Deleting the resonator is a bad idea because of pressure wave harmonics.

"Pressure Wave Harmonics
Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses
The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful."

this is why some people have noted performance loss and lowered mpg doing this diy

Read more : What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow

·
Registered
62 Posts
good info, i was debating whether i should do a resonator delete motivated by the mugen SI intake design that has no resonator; it makes more sense to keep it though. the way i'm going with the intake now is to add an opening in the fender to draw cold air without modifying the intake

·
Registered
55 Posts
To anyone that is currently running without the resonator, you are not only decreasing your power output and mpg, but also your throttle response and also might notice some jerking when letting off the throttle in gear to coast.

The resonator draws in air from the fender because it is one of the best places to draw it from. The fender is a natural centeralized chamber for air to flow and counteract downforce. It is a naturally high pressure area while moving, therefor an effective area to draw air from. It is likely that the OEM resonator design would be far more effective than any CAI offered by increasing airflow diameter and/or thermal soak. Your resonator also effectively eliminates "blow-back" force of intake charges when the throttle is suddenly closed. And if anyone with halfa brain as tried this, you'll know it doesn't even make the intake louder. It actually quiets it down.

This is a really, really bad thing to do. Don't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To anyone that is currently running without the resonator, you are not only decreasing your power output and mpg, but also your throttle response and also might notice some jerking when letting off the throttle in gear to coast.

The resonator draws in air from the fender because it is one of the best places to draw it from. The fender is a natural centeralized chamber for air to flow and counteract downforce. It is a naturally high pressure area while moving, therefor an effective area to draw air from. It is likely that the OEM resonator design would be far more effective than any CAI offered by increasing airflow diameter and/or thermal soak. Your resonator also effectively eliminates "blow-back" force of intake charges when the throttle is suddenly closed. And if anyone with halfa brain as tried this, you'll know it doesn't even make the intake louder. It actually quiets it down.

This is a really, really bad thing to do. Don't.
Searched for an edit button, but couldn't find one.

For anyone wanting proof of the fender well being a high-pressure area for lifting force, look at the 458 Italia's fender gills and LMP2 open-****pit cars fender slats. These exist solely for this purpose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cone Filter?

Hope this isn't a dead thread. I have an R18 civic and removed the intake resonator. I have an exhaust so my car was previously loud, but after removing the resonator it was wayyyyy louder and you definitely feel a change in when you drive. Sounds like I have a K20 lol. But I keep looking at that open hole just facing downward and I feel it needs some love. I really want to slap a cone filter on there and just remove my panel filter inside the box. Anyone know the filter I could get? Before I go wasting my time to find the right size :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hope this isn't a dead thread. I have an R18 civic and removed the intake resonator. I have an exhaust so my car was previously loud, but after removing the resonator it was wayyyyy louder and you definitely feel a change in when you drive. Sounds like I have a K20 lol. But I keep looking at that open hole just facing downward and I feel it needs some love. I really want to slap a cone filter on there and just remove my panel filter inside the box. Anyone know the filter I could get? Before I go wasting my time to find the right size :p
Dead thread bump! I did this on my 07 FA5. Drove it back from lunch with it. Gonna put it back before I go home. Hate it. Car "feels" faster because its louder.....but thats it. No gain here. Stock airbox ftw.

381 - 391 of 391 Posts