8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

361 - 380 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Are there any downsides for this mod? Besides the heatsoak (which is a good thing for mpg right?)
Heat soak isnt good for the mpg. Downside to doing this with stock air box is air filter gets dirtier quicker, and may end up finding leaves in there.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't mind the air filter getting dirtier since i have a reusuable K&N filter :)

i always thought eco-modders install warm-air intakes...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I don't mind the air filter getting dirtier since i have a reusuable K&N filter :)

i always thought eco-modders install warm-air intakes...
Your all set then. :).
Just dont go ape s*** on the re-oiling of the filter like a lot of people on here have.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
274 Posts
^^ agreed I did it and it didn't really make a difference the sound wasn't louder in anyway and the vtec crossover wasn't there anymore so people say its a "smoother" transition whe you can barely tell it even engaged I went from that to an injen and it was a night and day difference

Sent from my DROID3

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just did this mod last week and noticed a slight increase in noise when revving past 3k rpm with a sweet growl. Possibly decreased the performance due to heat soak (I did not measure IAT yet). Probably the best thing to do when removing the resonator is to extend the pipe to draw air from the lower wheel well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spent 3 hours doing this two weeks ago and was someone happy w/ the results, until I noticed my mpg dropped significantly. I decided to go back to stock because it wasn't worth the extra gas money (had to re-buy parts). To anyone thinking about doing this I would say don't. Just save yourself the time and money and wait to buy a real intake + Flashpro. Plus putting the factory piping back together was a MAJOR pain in the ***.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey quick question! After removing the intake resonator, is it fine to just leave everything else alone or could that cause potential problems?

D

·
0 Posts
Started to do this when I was installing my retrofitted bi-xenons, but it was getting dark and I didn't see this thread! Thanks!! Great DIY!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Removed my resonator yesterday on my 07 FA5 Si. There wasn't much of a sound improvement - it's a little louder but lacks the aggressive hornet's nest fury it had with the resonator attached once VTEC engaged. Throttle response is slightly worse and it seems slightly slower. Putting it back on tomorrow - thanks for the DIY, it was worth a shot!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Removed my resonator yesterday on my 07 FA5 Si. There wasn't much of a sound improvement - it's a little louder but lacks the aggressive hornet's nest fury it had with the resonator attached once VTEC engaged. Throttle response is slightly worse and it seems slightly slower. Putting it back on tomorrow - thanks for the DIY, it was worth a shot!
Most likely you pulling air from the left side of the bumper of where the resonator is. I ran a 3 inch tube from where the resonator is disconnect and connect it to the upper tube where its pulling air from the fender side. Yes is alot louder and im using a k&n drop in filter and it does have a better response

·
Registered
992 Posts
And if you trying to get a huge impression that its a huge change then no
And if u did this mod while the engine is heat soak then you wont feel any diffrence .
Do this mod and drive the car everyday you will notice the difference weather if its bad or good , i only did this mod to increase the vtec crossover growl which it did work but if the car ran a lil better than its a plus

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This mod worked great for me before I purchased and installed an aftermarket system...

Even got my first tune with it but I took the time to create a smooth inlet from the chamber in the front bumper into the air funnel...

361 - 380 of 391 Posts