8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY: Removing the Intake Resonator

I couldn't find a DIY for the Removal of the Intake Resonator. So I decided to make a quick one for those who are in need of help on doing so.

You will need- phillips screw driver, ratchet ( I used a 1/4 and a 3/8), 10mm socket, extension, flat head(to take out tabs)

The Bumper Removal doesnt have to be done but i did it to check out how to wire fogs.
First I used this DIY for removing my bumper. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/elec...-your-factory-horn-118db-bad-boy-39-pics.html (Thank you TigerDave for that great DIY on how to remove the bumper)

Then that brought me to this..I circled the 2 bolts that needed to be taken out. The one on the top right is a little hard to get to, but if you have a really long extension it makes it really easy. ( Both bolts are 10mm)

This doesnt need to be done either i found out you just need to wiggle more and itll come out.
Then after that I couldn't find what was still holding the Resonator from coming out then I found another bolt which is right under the battery tray. If you take it out. It might be easier to get too. I just went through the bottom with a small ratchet and got to it. I circled the bolt and you can see the ratchet attached to it.(10mm bolt as well) (Picture taken from looking up from the bottom of the car.)

After removing those 2 bolts with a little wiggling you can take out the Resonator. But the tube from the Intake Box to the Resonator actually can seperate from the resonator once the bolt under the battery tray is removed and twisting I believe counter clockwise, but if you look in there from the top you will see that it is connected by a tab/hanger thing. You just pull it out and then everything should twist off. I decided to leave that in there, hoping it will reduce a little heat soak. Also you will see a tube that goes from the Resonator to the inner wheel and that also disconnects if you wiggle and twist. If anyone has any questions or wants/needs more pics of something. Feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure that I have seen all of them including yours. The purpose of mine is that no one has really said anything on how to take it out. They just have pics and instructions on what to do after it is out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
this is awesome. i seriously was wondering if you could take it out without cutting it. as some other people said you had to cut the resonator to remove it.

farking great!
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel a little more response but it seemed to quiet down the Vtec kick very little. other than that other benefits is its another alternative instead of chopping up your intake like all the others do. I havent found any cons to it yet other than the Resonator is now taking up space in my garage.haha

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is awesome. i seriously was wondering if you could take it out without cutting it. as some other people said you had to cut the resonator to remove it.

farking great!
Thanks so much!
Your welcome, i also did not want to cut up my intake just incase I wanted to sell my car. Also if you can buy the K&N filter i would do that as well it seemed to help. I would Dyno but I do not have any extra funds to do so.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is there any way you can add a small pipe and attach a cone filter down there. If so you could remove the panel filter (if it doesn't help seal the upper airbox) then you'd have a little CAI without replacing or hacking through anything. Worth a try if its physically possible.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a similar design to that, but i am not sure who makes it. But i dont see why it wouldnt be possible.

·
Registered
11,832 Posts
so, there's no cons with it??? although it seems to be the same principal as an SRI
wrong an SRI would be like the x intake......
this is a CAI.....it brings air in just like a CAI....

·
Registered
513 Posts
the only con i can think of is that the filter would get dirtier faster. my fathers porsche has a snorkel on it, and once removed the filter gets dirtier faster. i suppose the resonator would trap some dirt, but that's it...

·
Banned
148 Posts
i did this pretty much instantly after reading this thread, and seriously, it was crazy easy, and there were noticable increases in the sound of the car, not ricey, but alot like it had a coldair intake installed, i guess now my next question would be how some of you guys got cone filters onto your stock intake tubing, i want to do it, but wanna have a general know-how before i go cutting up intake tubing, anyhelp would be awesome

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it possible to get the resonator out through the fender well?

I'm doing this tonight and I really don't want to take the front bumper off....

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Is it possible to get the resonator out through the fender well?

I'm doing this tonight and I really don't want to take the front bumper off....
The bumper has to be pulled because you gotta snake the intake from the bottom up

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just thought I'd post an update for this....

I have a 2008 FA5, and I removed my resonator tonight, and I was surprised to find it only mounted with two bolts; not three. My car didn't have the mount under the battery tray.

Also, I didn't remove my front bumper to get it out. I removed a panel underneath the front bumper, and part of the fender liner, and that was it.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thought I'd post an update for this....

I have a 2008 FA5, and I removed my resonator tonight, and I was surprised to find it only mounted with two bolts; not three. My car didn't have the mount under the battery tray.

Also, I didn't remove my front bumper to get it out. I removed a panel underneath the front bumper, and part of the fender liner, and that was it.
That is interesting. I wonder why it only had two. At least you were able to get it out. Also with the whole removing the plastic thing, I figured that would work as well but I am thinking of getting Fogs soon so I decided to take a peak as well on how I was going to go about that. Anyways good job on finidng another route that worked.:thumb:

·
Registered
950 Posts
That is interesting. I wonder why it only had two. At least you were able to get it out. Also with the whole removing the plastic thing, I figured that would work as well but I am thinking of getting Fogs soon so I decided to take a peak as well on how I was going to go about that. Anyways good job on finidng another route that worked.:thumb:
My friend with a 08 Si coupe tried this as well and only had two bolts holding the resonator in place!

1 - 20 of 391 Posts