8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting cold outside! Does anyone have any suggestions for a good remote start system? I don't want the alarm, since the car already has the keyless entry and two led lights constantly flashing, plus I got my windows etched by Honda for free...
TIA

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
If you just want a remote start, go with one of DEI's many many many (many) applications under Viper, Python, Rattlesnake, DEI, Clifford, etc. etc. lol

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
albundy said:
potiac has remote start in their gto i think. why cant honda put remote start in their cars?
Because it's a waste. Most of the time, people never use it. At least, a lot of the people I know. For example, I only use it on my girlfriends car if I remember to do so. Most of the time, I forget it's there and when I do actually use it, I use it just for the heck of it. Not cold or anything.

If you get a remote start, remember to set your heat in the on position so when it does it's temperature start it's blowing heat through your car (temp. starts-once it reaches a certain temp outside/inside the car, like 20 degrees, the car starts itself and runs for a few minutes, and then cycles a few times....very useful).

Side note* I purchased a brand new Clifford Unit on ebay and ended up winning its bid for $34 shipped. Couldn't beat that if you wanted to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i also planning to get a alarm + remote start sys, but was so headache on picking which brand and where to install (trustable auto/alarm shop), by the way i live in Bay area, ca ..do you guys know any good reputation shop?
question, once i install the alarm system, is it goona take away my default keyless entry function?

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
leo3000 said:
i also planning to get a alarm + remote start sys, but was so headache on picking which brand and where to install (trustable auto/alarm shop), by the way i live in Bay area, ca ..do you guys know any good reputation shop?
question, once i install the alarm system, is it goona take away my default keyless entry function?
On some of the cars I've seen that have had remote starts installed, the keyless entry function was not disabled. I'm talking specifically of Acura Legends. My wiring is so ridiculously complicated and the alarm is so retarded, I didn't even lock the doors at first (paperclip in the hood latch solved that though :D )

And you can DIY it in a few hours with a HELMS Manual. Best Buy also installs them (I used to work for them). It's not exactly dirt cheap to have em install it and it takes them about 4 hours without a wiring diagram (it's not cheap because they have to test wires and crap), but it's still affordable and worth it, especially if you don't wanna mess with the car. And like I said up there, I'd go with almost anything by DEI, specifically a Clifford unit. They're affordable and work well.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
personally, I like Viper products. Python, I think there's also Rattlesnake, Hornet....a bunch of crazy stuff...Honestly, it's pretty much all the same, with a few minor differences. The same company makes the bulk of the ones out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On some of the cars I've seen that have had remote starts installed, the keyless entry function was not disabled. I'm talking specifically of Acura Legends. My wiring is so ridiculously complicated and the alarm is so retarded, I didn't even lock the doors at first (paperclip in the hood latch solved that though )

And you can DIY it in a few hours with a HELMS Manual. Best Buy also installs them (I used to work for them). It's not exactly dirt cheap to have em install it and it takes them about 4 hours without a wiring diagram (it's not cheap because they have to test wires and crap), but it's still affordable and worth it, especially if you don't wanna mess with the car. And like I said up there, I'd go with almost anything by DEI, specifically a Clifford unit. They're affordable and work well.
thanks for the infos, yea so far im thinking to get a clifford Matrix CRX 3.5, which includes the alarm and remote start. do you have any experience of this particular model?
+This model also comes with the power keyless entry, so my question is if i install this unit, are they gonna take off the default civic power keyless unit?
+i called up one of the alarm shop, and they told me that the total cost of this unit (clifford Matrix CRX 3.5) + labbor is around 400$, is it reasonable? is it safe to let them install it? i guess by install the alarm for me they will have the PIN/code and i wonder will i able to change the PIN/Code later by myself?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
My concern with a remote start is, as I understand it, that the (stock) imbobilizer must be bypassed to function. In essence, you lose one potential security feature by installing the remote start. Personally, I would rather keep the immobilizer, however, for those that live in very cold locations, the remote start may outweigh the additional security.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Janizary said:
My concern with a remote start is, as I understand it, that the (stock) imbobilizer must be bypassed to function. In essence, you lose one potential security feature by installing the remote start. Personally, I would rather keep the immobilizer, however, for those that live in very cold locations, the remote start may outweigh the additional security.
very good point :) I forgot all about this...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Janizary said:
I was going to mention this earlier but I thought someone must have thought about it already and I was missing something. I've always been of the mind that it's not a good idea to leave a car running unattended.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
eluwak said:
I was going to mention this earlier but I thought someone must have thought about it already and I was missing something. I've always been of the mind that it's not a good idea to leave a car running unattended.
As long as it's in park, lol, I've never had a problem. Like with the cold over-night starts, the car starts for a few minutes to heat the car (doors are locked, keys upstairs) and it runs just long enough to keep it from a hard cold-crank when I'm leaving in the morning. Also keeps the car from being so cold. This -30 below weather ain't no joke up here....I shoulda went to school in Florida...lol.

·
Banned
92 Posts
i just saw a chevy commerical, they now have remote starts from the factory in their new cars (just like potiac)

looks like honda needs to step up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm looking into getting an auto start system. I have a '06 Manual EX. If I get an auto start system will it disable my current alarm system? I know the stock arlam system isn't much but its better than nothing. What would be a reasonable price for an auto start system and an auto start system with alarm?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I worked at an electronics store for 3 years and have tons of experience with autostarts and alarms. Ill try and clear up a few things.
#1 yes your keyless will still work with your stock remote but i would recommend using the autostart remote only the reason is some autostarts (specifically ones with a single lock/unlock button) only know how to do the opposite of the last function. for example if you lock the car with your autostart and then unlock it with the stock remote and then try and use the autostart to lock it, it will first unlock the car. its confusing i know but just trust me
#2 yes you immobilizer and stock securtity will need to be bypassed but that doesnt mean they wont work. they will still function just like stock except for when you autostart the car thats the only time the modules used to bypass those systems are active. So, you dont lose the protection of the immobilizer key and your stock alarm will still function.
#3 If your worried about leaving your car running unattended, dont. As soon as you put your foot on the brake to shift out of park(unless the key is in the ignition) the car will turn off. So, if you have nothing of value in the car you could basically leave it unlocked your car isnt going anywhere. (with out your keys)
#4 I strongly recommend buying one from a reputable dealer and having them install it. Here is why, They are very complicated, Most reputalbe brands require for warranty that it was proffesionally installed, i have personally see cars that have started on fire or been cause thousands of dollars worth of damage because of poor install, our cars in specific (7th and 8th gen) are not very easy if your gonna try your first autostart do a chevy truck they are easy as hell. Also Best Buy is not a reputable dealer (At least around here). They cannot use solder because of insurance reasons this makes for a poor install, Im not saying this is true everywhere but In Fargo ND where im from the installers there are Terrible, i wouldnt send my worst enemy there.
#5 this is just my opinion because of my experiences. Brands i have had good luck with quality wise are Compustar, Astrostart, and any DEI brand cause they are all the same anyway with a different sticker. Some brands are better at different things so if you know what you want it to do but not what brand and model to get just let me know i will help you pick one out.
I hope this helps and feel free to ask ?s cause im sure i missed a few things

1 - 20 of 64 Posts