8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remote Start: Answers for the Si

So I wanted to post up for some weary members about my experience with the remote start. I can only speak on behalf of Compustar's pro series line... Basically I got the 900 with all the bells and whistles, the windows up/down (4), piezo horn, tilt sensor, sunroof back, remote start, knock sensor (in case you lock your keys in the vehicle), back up battery, kill switch etc etc.....

The Remote start is safe in Compustar's case because you ARE NOT bypassing the clutch... Before you turn off your vehicle, you must do a sequence (apply brake in neutral then parking brake). It clicks and lets you know that you are ready for remote start next time you start it up. One downside for some is that when you do this and remove the key, the "unlock all doors" mod won't work, but I am going to get the shop to make the alarm do that. Also, the car will STAY ON until you get out and close your doors so if you need to get something out of the back (4Dr) you need to open the door before the alarm auto locks.... As in normally it would go "step out of car, close door, car locks"...

If you do the sequence wrong you will get an START ERROR 7 on the remote so it is SAFE!

I hope this answers a lot of people's questions... This is my first manual car and I swore I wouldn't get R/S after seeing an older civic go through a brick wall/garage door lol.. I am convinced now that everyone can have a safe R/S vehicle. :vtec:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Word up, lyttleviet..its true. You can install a legitimate starter in a standard car. I've installed almost quite a variety in my installer days.
I recommend Compustar and Autostart brands, as they have a reservation mode/sequence that must be initiated by the driver in order to remote start w/o being in gear.
Btw, lyttleviet, YOU can also get the PRO series to unlock once you remove the key. It must be programmed for DRIVELOCK on the remote starter and the actual remote in order to work.
I know, because I had the exact same beef cuz I hated having to unlock the car before I can get out.
Good luck.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
knock sensor? what if someone was to just knock on your car a few times and the alarm mistakenly unlocks the doors?

please explain more of how it works....ive never heard of such a thing

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
knock sensor? what if someone was to just knock on your car a few times and the alarm mistakenly unlocks the doors?

please explain more of how it works....ive never heard of such a thing
You knock a sequence to get into the mode. Then you knock your own personalized code. It isn't simple trust me. Thanks for the heads up on the compustar programming. I am going to get the alarm finished up soon so I will add that to the list :).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much was the set up with all the bells and whistles. can u break it down parts and labor.
That I cannot do sorry. I bought it with WAY too many other things and to be honest.. The shop may get in trouble if I reveal how much I paid for my alarm.

I don't see why a Push start button would affect the alarm.... S2ks get remote start all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have posted this on all the remote starter posts for the Si. Hope it helps

this is an old topic but I was browsing and that Id add to it.

Compustar is the best remote starter/ alarm system hands down, I have sold them ALL.

Compustar from its inception (1998) was designed for manual trans

YOU CAN DO 06 to 08 si... I have compustar on both my civics, 06 ex, and 08 si.

bypassing the clutch is not a mechanical operation but electrical, you simple tap into the wire that need to "see" ground at the clutch switch. you dont have to have anything depress the clutch or cut any wires, just tap into the beeded wire and give it a constant ground while th remote start cranks the car over. It does not interfer with cruise.

Compustar DOES NOT recoginze or "see" if the car is in gear.... however it requires you to go through a proceedure before getting out of the car that (as long as the windows stay up) the car is always in neutral. the procedure does not require you to do anything that you dont already do getting out of the car, AND IT IS FLAWLESS in remote starting any manual trans car.

For those of you who have DEI product, ei., viper, clifford, python, your valet, hornet, well DEI recently came out with an add-on module that mimicks the compustar procedure.

I dont think it is neccessary for me to bash other lines, I will ask you guys to think first when it comes to pricing. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you can buy a remote starter with or without an alarm combo for $120 and think you got a deal? Well only if it is hot, can you get something that is of QUALITY that cheap. Other wise you can trust you bought some bottom barrel product regardless the problem you may or may not have had. In this day any age of ebay and online sales so many people are trying to get and or trying to offer "deals".

When it comes to alarms, remote starters, and car audio..... I am completely against the grain.... Most of what you read in advertisment is NOT true. I have been in this business since 1989. If you want an unbiased honest answer feel free to ask me anytime.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Word up, lyttleviet..its true. You can install a legitimate starter in a standard car. I've installed almost quite a variety in my installer days.
I recommend Compustar and Autostart brands, as they have a reservation mode/sequence that must be initiated by the driver in order to remote start w/o being in gear.
Btw, lyttleviet, YOU can also get the PRO series to unlock once you remove the key. It must be programmed for DRIVELOCK on the remote starter and the actual remote in order to work.
I know, because I had the exact same beef cuz I hated having to unlock the car before I can get out.
Good luck.
Bumping an old thread. How does this DRIVELOCK thing work? I have the Compustar Pro P2SWSSR in my Si, and would like to get the doors to unlock when I take the key out. Please let me know how to set this up, if it's something I can do myself. I hope I don't have to bring it back to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts