8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I started noticing some white discoloring in the paint on the roof of my 2008 Civic SI. I have not been keeping up with waxing as I did when it was new. Doh! It sits in the sun most of the time which I'm sure doesn't help.

Then the other day I saw another Civic with the same issue. Is there anything that can be done? Or is it a lost cause since it's under the clearcoat? See attached pics.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its a common issue, Honda was addressing it awhile back but not anymore. Depending on how much your car is worth, it may be worth it to get repainted or try wrapping it or something. I don't care about my car much (not worth $ much) so I'll probably rattle can my roof and DIY it.

More stories here:

·
Super Moderator
2,016 Posts
Have you tried visiting a detail shop? You'd be amazed on what they can do. Yes, the overall best way to repair that is to repaint it, but that cost big money. Can't hurt to consult a detailer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Buy some 2K clear coat, wet sand the rest of the shitty clear coat off. Tape the area put three coats of clear. Let it dry wet sand, polish and your done. Just had to do half my car and blacks a *****.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Buy some 2K clear coat, wet sand the rest of the shitty clear coat off. Tape the area put three coats of clear. Let it dry wet sand, polish and your done. Just had to do half my car and blacks a *.
Got any pictures u can share? I’m sure there are plenty of us who would like to see results👍🏻

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a few not many though. This concept is tested and works well. I still have to work during this pandemic so its taking me longer to get it done but you can see the what it looks like before and even though im not finished blending the the paint and wet sanding it to a shine you can see some of the process. And a side DONT go to autozone and buy dupli-color paint can as its lacquer acrylic paint and it may not match. My 08 si is nighthawk black yet the color comes out almost blue. There is some blue in the original paint but not that much and since its black and im trying to blend them it may never look right and i might have to do it all over if it bugs me enough. That being said it is still way better then white flaking pain especially on a black car. You're better off going on ebay and getting a pro paint shop to send you a bottle of urethane base coat and clear coat. Dont do single stage. I will add photos of what the products look like which i got off ebay so you know what brands to look for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So i just went outside to take a few pictures and its night time so bare with me. You can see where i started smoothing out the paint job and you can also see the color difference. That is exactly why you dont want to use Dupli-Color touch up paint. I will most likely redo this as i ordered the pro shop urethane base and clear to do my front bumper, hood, and front quarter panels with an HVLP spray gun. You can purchase a cheap and yet fairly decent one from harbor fright. I will include the photo of the one i have from there. The result from doing it the right way are almost guaranteed to better and last longer if you do the process correctly. I will add more photos of that end result when i get finished which maybe this week. For now here's what i got. It seems i can add the rest of the photos cause of an error this forum throws when i try but i will keep trying to upload them, i hope this is helpful to anyone dealing with this issue, as you can see my case was pretty bad

·
Registered
34 Posts

These images are a little out of order but you get the basic idea. Its going to take you some time and require some effort if your new to painting but save you hundreds of dollars. There are plenty of guides online and on youtube. So dont be afraid to start sanding the paint off your car!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks I ll post more pics on my progress. Hope everyone who’s plagued by Honda’s clear coat try’s this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is the clear coat that’s the problem. And easy fix is sand the rest of the clear coat for that section off but not the base coat. Clean and prep the base coat. Spend $23 on the 2k clean in the rattle can and apply. Problem fixed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts