8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided in the future, possibly a year or so I'd like to do a supercharger. But I'd like to make my car as quick as possible in the meantime. Currently I have I/RH/E but I'm wondering, is it pointless to get the hondata reflash if I plan on going s/c later on? I know you have to send in your ecu to get it reflashed again when you buy the supercharger, but does this erase the previous hondata reflash if I had it? Or does it just add to it? Please chime in, this quite possibly might be my next mod if it's worth it. Thanks,

Mikey

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
I'd wait until you save the money for the supercharger. Yes, the reflash will overwrite whatever is already programmed on the ECM.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have a question about supercharger design.

So, we know that the forced induction is created by taking power off the timing belt; are there weight reductions here that would be good too? Like will the NST pulleys also help in terms of weight reduction, or a lightweight belt (like that would make a difference, right? :))? In fact, do you chris/greg think that this SC would work well with some of the bolt ons like the NST pulleys, IMG, and P2R TB spacer/gaskets?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
A supercharger spins via a pully that runs off of drive belt and not the timing belt (BTW, we have a chain). :thumb:

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
iomatic said:
I have a question about supercharger design.

So, we know that the forced induction is created by taking power off the timing belt; are there weight reductions here that would be good too? Like will the NST pulleys also help in terms of weight reduction, or a lightweight belt (like that would make a difference, right? :))? In fact, do you chris/greg think that this SC would work well with some of the bolt ons like the NST pulleys, IMG, and P2R TB spacer/gaskets?

Thanks!
^^^Dam you again you beat me AGAIN

The pulleys I would suggest against, Also the TB spacer, there would be no need for that. That works more for a N/A engine due to the waves that a N/A engine makes when sucking air in. That is why those sorts of things make power, where and with the charger you are just using brutal force to shove more air into the engine and the Airwaves aren't as important..One of the major restricions comes fromt he Header just to expell that amount of air most N/A headers aren't able to do that above a certain HP....THat is why a specific F/I header for SC can be needed:thumb:

As for the IMG sure that can't hurt

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
So it looks like not all N/A mods are necessarily useful for SC. Huh. Good to know. And again, fellas, thanks. Why would anyone go to any other board?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Highrev1 said:
^^^Dam you again you beat me AGAIN

The pulleys I would suggest against, Also the TB spacer, there would be no need for that. That works more for a N/A engine due to the waves that a N/A engine makes when sucking air in. That is why those sorts of things make power, where and with the charger you are just using brutal force to shove more air into the engine and the Airwaves aren't as important..One of the major restricions comes fromt he Header just to expell that amount of air most N/A headers aren't able to do that above a certain HP....THat is why a specific F/I header for SC can be needed:thumb:

As for the IMG sure that can't hurt

Turbochargers and Superchargers don't necessarily "shove more air" into the engine. In the time that the valves open, there's only so much air that can go into the combustion chamber. The rate of speed at which the air travels is irrelevant. Forced Induction pressurizes the air before it goes into the combustion chamber, creating 'denser' air...not 'faster' air.

I guess that's irrelevant to this post though, I just see a lot of people get confused with this concept though. Nonetheless, if you plan on charging the car in the near future don't bother with the reflash now. :redface:

·
Registered
436 Posts
pwrofdrm said:
Turbochargers and Superchargers don't necessarily "shove more air" into the engine. In the time that the valves open, there's only so much air that can go into the combustion chamber. The rate of speed at which the air travels is irrelevant. Forced Induction pressurizes the air before it goes into the combustion chamber, creating 'denser' air...not 'faster' air.

I guess that's irrelevant to this post though, I just see a lot of people get confused with this concept though. Nonetheless, if you plan on charging the car in the near future don't bother with the reflash now. :redface:

I think maybe your a little less informed/confused how FORCE INDUCTION works. Volume of air is key to F/I. Air is forced into the cylinder during the intake stroke. The air is also pressurized in the cylinder during this as well.Air velocity is very much relevant. If you can't move the air into the cylinder quickly,then you wont make decent power. The more air/oxygen molecules in the cylinder, the more fuel which can be used and the more power will be made. The change of intake systems, intake manifolds and port and polish of the heads is all to help increase the amount and speed of the air flow into the cylinder.Same goes for the exhaust. The quicker you can get it out the more power will be made. Well to a point but you know what I mean. In the cylinder the air is shoved/force into the cylinder. Higher the psi the more air is forced in. You can force a ton of air into a cylinder. I know there is a limit but I think it is pretty darn high. The key to F/I is again volume and not so much psi( all thou it does take pressure to move the air). You can take a High cfm induction with low boost and make way more power then with a low cfm induction and high boost pressure. So the faster you can move the air into the cylinder with a good volume amount along with pressure to move it the more power will be made. Feel free to add to any of my post, but I think its pretty close.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
^ bang, dead on. I was told at first my P2R TB spacer + gaskets wouldn't benefit with a S/C, then I was told they were. Now I believe it won't.

So what's the damn truth? Will the TB Spacer + gaskets be beneficial to the SC????

·
Registered
281 Posts
lmfao, u guys totally just thread jacked him! he was askin about the reflash - worth it or not if gonna s/c? everything else was completely irrelavent; though informational. we all must really learn to stay on topic...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Ok, sorry. I jacked the thread. My name should be changed to THREAD JACKER! muahha

SiCiViC THE

OK IM DONE!!

But, realistically, once you get the reflash for an NA application, and you then decide to get a supercharger, I think you save $300 for an upgrade for a FI application. Check Hondata.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I copied and pasted this from Hondata's FAQ:

What if if I later want to upgrade to forced induction?

If Hondata has an reflash upgrade specific to a forced induction kit, there will be a $200 upgrade plus shipping and handling. Currently Hondata has tested no forced induction systems on the 06/07 Civic Si.

Ok so, where does this leave us? If there is no upgrade yet, and we get F/I, then do we have to get out ECU reflashed back to stock and wait till they get a F/I version? Is it possible to run a reflash with F/I with just a few less HP? If it is just a minor loss (less then or equal to 5hp) then it might be easier to wait and see? I should be getting F/I'ed when I get my tax return so I am wondering about this myself.

·
Registered
394 Posts
918civic said:
<snip>Ok so, where does this leave us? If there is no upgrade yet, and we get F/I, then do we have to get our ECU reflashed back to stock and wait till they get a F/I version? Is it possible to run a reflash with F/I with just a few less HP? If it is just a minor loss (less then or equal to 5hp) then it might be easier to wait and see? I should be getting F/I'ed when I get my tax return so I am wondering about this myself.
Funny. I just started a thread related to this very topic!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51710

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
So

So, what is the point of sending in the ECU to Hondata when you buy a Comptech SC if all they do is reflash it back to stock ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
si_civic said:
So, what is the point of sending in the ECU to Hondata when you buy a Comptech SC if all they do is reflash it back to stock ?
When you buy a CompTech SC, you get a CompTech SC Reflash from Hondata. Soon, if you buy a Redshift SC, then you'd get a Redshift SC Reflash from Hondata.

If you have the common I/H Reflash from Hondata before you buy one of these SC's, then they reflash your ECU, again, but not to stock. It gets reflashed to the specific vendor's SC Reflash (if they work with Hondata for their tuning). Note that JR does not use Hondata. I think this is correct. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cuban Si said:
lmfao, u guys totally just thread jacked him! he was askin about the reflash - worth it or not if gonna s/c? everything else was completely irrelavent; though informational. we all must really learn to stay on topic...
LoL it's all good bro, I got my answer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts