8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the progress rear sway bar and redshift reinforcement brackets. I was just wondering if anyone else had a hard time getting the drilled holes to line up. I had to use a 3/8inch size drill bit to wallow the hole out enough to make it line up. My main problem was getting the drill into position to drill in the exact location. I was off by maybe 2mm.

Anyway I was concerned that this would have weakened the use of this bolt but I see that from the design it really shouldn't matter.

So I also took some nuts and washers and placed them on the back side of the supplied hex bolts as a double nut if you will, on the back side of the plate. I figure this is ultra strong and I was thinking of welding on top of that but this metal is so thin I would hate to burn through it with my MIG welder. PS. Huge difference the car finally rotates and sticks easier. :woot:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
According to redshift, "when using any aftermarket sway bar drill and use both bolts." As OCD and paranoid of failure as I am I went ahead and welded mine today. So I did both and I actually strengthened the factory bracket by building up a layer of weld on the under side where the bracket makes a somewhat V shape. So bolted and welded and of course painted to keep from rusting. Whoo that ***** is on there.

I would imagine that yes indeed it does make it stronger even if you only use the one bolt, the reason for the other is to triangulate the bracket for added strength. It is a pain to get a drill in there but I i did it...

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
i had a minor fight with my brackets over the hole being drilled. but its all good. i was a very minimal amount off. but its all good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the two metals weld together very nicely. All I did was use a wire brush scrub the paint. Ground to the bracket on the top of it, and the only place I could get a welder into was around the bottom and up to the endlink mounting hole. I then ground the weld down with a stone dremel, then a wire wheel on a drill, and then sprayed some black engine paint on the weld and mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.