8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive never raced my car befor but iam getting the itch so iam looking into redline track event at willow springs has any one been to one of there events ?

how schould i prep my car for the track ?

get a extra set of wheels and tires for the track ?

all i have on my car is an intake
any info would be great

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there!

Just saw your post. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our events.

Prepping your car for the track:

Make sure to download this Tech Sheet, for items you should double check prior to arriving at the track:

Tech Inspection Form

You dont necessarily need an extra set of rims and tires, that can get expensive. Sure, if you have the money and can afford to do that, by all means. Most folks simply get the best street tires they can afford, such as the Toyo R1R, Falken Azenis RT615, Kumho MX, Bridgestone Potenza RE01R... a street tire with very good grip and decent life.

I would definitely install some upgraded brake pads. Look to see if Hawk has a set of brake pads for you, they should. OEM brake pads will not last very well in the abusive environment of the track.

It is actually a VERY good idea to take your car to the track when it is relatively stock with little modifications. This way you can install one part at a time, head to the track again in between mods, and really be able to tell just how much that mod helped your car.

If you have any other questions, just post them here!

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks man yea i sent an email to Chris he gave me some good info too. about the brakes if i change my pads schould i change my rotors too? i would think i need to right?iam going to go buy a helmet soon and look into some tires most likly the RT615 i want to try and attend the feb 9th or 10th event

RedlineTrackEvents

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would recommend you keep your car as stock as possible. Really, the only thing you need to change are the brake pads and fluid. The rest you can keep bone stock. From my experience, the more parts you change, the more problems you will have. Nothing beats the feeling of driving to the track, beating on your car, improving your lap-times on a stock setup, and not having a single doubt that your car will make it back in one piece.

You will also notice that the people who track their cars stock and then upgrade as they go are generally faster then those that mod their cars first and then track their cars. Just an observation ;).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had some frinds that did autoX they always told me to keep my car stock when i go to these events too that way i can really learn how to drive my car thanx for your info !!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i had some frinds that did autoX they always told me to keep my car stock when i go to these events too that way i can really learn how to drive my car thanx for your info !!
your friends have the right idea in mind. once u learn how to take a car to its limits, then u can increase that limit with modifying, but u first need to learn the limits.

here are my suggestions on upgrades after your first stock track session:
-tires (power, handling and brakes are nothing if they cant hold to the pavement)
-alignment w/ camber kit (again increasing tire contact patch)
-brakes (once u learn how to take a brake to its limits (overheating), upgrade pads and fluid that will endure higher and prolonged temperatures. also, ss lines that will help brake pedal feel)

check back in after your first track session.

eugene

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info eugene i think iam going to get a set of rt615 and set of hawk pads for the event because i dont want to eat up my stock parts i hope to get some pics and vids when i go and ill sure post them up when i do

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well iam still trying to decide what i schould get iam getting some mix in feedback
andiam on a budget so its one or the other. i used to work at a tire shop so i can get a good deal on a set

falkin RT-615
or
frontpads
or
front pads and rotors
or stay stock

its going to be a 100 mile drive to go home from the track i checkd the 32nds on my tires and the smallest reading i got was 6/32 on the front and 8 for the rear my car has just under 8000 miles if i stay stock do you think i can still get home ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Personally, I'd consider going to Toyo RA1s over the Falkens. I have the Falken RT-615s on my Si and while they are decent tires, they tend to get "greasy" after about 15 minutes of track driving (in a 20 minute session!).

Back when I started track driving a lot of folks were telling me to avoid DOT-Rs (DOT-approved race tires) like the RA1s and instead stick to a non-DOT-R high-performance street tire like the Falken RT-615. The reasoning was that the DOT-Rs don't give any or enough audible (sound) feedback when the tires are at their grip limit and newbies would be caught by surprise as their tires lost grip in an aggressive turn. Well, this past Sunday I drove for the first time on full-tread RA1s and got PLENTY of audible feedback. I was at Buttonwillow Raceway and was driving an E30 BMW. They howled when at their limit and I could feel it, too. Also, the grip was much better from start to finish than the Falkens. I have over 30 track days (and counting) and am kicking myself for not starting with a tire like the Toyo RA1 sooner.

Edit: I know this is a controversial topic. Toyo RA1s are street tires that are designed for competitive road racing. It's not like going straight to Hoosier Grand Am Cup tires (slicks). I was surprised at how predictable the tires were and how their grip didn't fade like the RT-615s do. I really don't see any issue with a newbie driving on RA1s (and maybe even the Nitto NT01s).

·
Registered
433 Posts
dont qoute me on this but i think the ra1's have to low of a treadwear rating there for he would have to race in modified and those guys are fast!!! especially if it's your first time. id go with falken, there probaly the best street tire you can or reo1r's but there pretty expensive.

dont miss out on the event though man its a good time and you guys got some bad ass cars to watch on the west coast. not as much competition on the east but i got 2 first places this year:thumb: haha, i like to think i would have three but them damn canadians wouldnt let me in there country lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
dont qoute me on this but i think the ra1's have to low of a treadwear rating there for he would have to race in modified and those guys are fast!!! especially if it's your first time. id go with falken, there probaly the best street tire you can or reo1r's but there pretty expensive.

dont miss out on the event though man its a good time and you guys got some bad ass cars to watch on the west coast. not as much competition on the east but i got 2 first places this year:thumb: haha, i like to think i would have three but them damn canadians wouldnt let me in there country lol
????

He's not racing anything. It's an open track event. You can run whatever tire you want.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
????

He's not racing anything. It's an open track event. You can run whatever tire you want.
yea what he said ^ i would run my stock tires but i remember seeing another member on hear useing brand new BF KDW tires and after a few laps he had chunks of rubber missing from his tires i dont really want that happening to my stock set buti think for sure i will be getting a set of hawk hp+ pads and just taking them with me as back ups

1 - 14 of 14 Posts