8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was originally going to make a 'build thread' for this car-

After two years of working on it, which involved not only bolting shizz on but also learning to powder coat in my garage-

I was just weeks from showing it (actually the show is today) when some drunken dumbass did this.

That was totaled.
OMFG. I was totaled too. Seriously, all that work, all those expensive parts, and all the anticipation thrown away, in one stupid, ignorant, careless act. EFF that kid.

At the time I was- and still am- working on powder coating some wheels, and that project unfortunately ground to a halt... I tried to work on them some during those days that I was forced to motor around in a bone-stock rented Madza 6 because of douchebaggery, but I just wanted to break stuff. It was nine of the most depressing days of my life.

Then I got this (last Wednesday, in fact). It's an 09...

Now one of the biggest irritations/disappointments of having one's tuned car totaled is losing those performance parts one spent so much on, and also losing the gains in the replacement vehicle. In some cases folks have been able to reclaim parts after the claim is settled, but it's necessary to have OEM parts to give back, and I just didn't have them any longer.

One could cast about for a car with mods pre-installed, but I personally haven't seen many. Add to that the car-shopping caveat that one should NEVER buy a modified car because it's likely been abused, and the prospect of finding a reliable, pre-tuned auto gets even bleaker.

So what about this car I've just bought? Well the first oddity of note is that it's been sitting at Honda of Lisle for over six months. We first saw it in March while shopping for a replacement for my wife's Jeep Overland, and while we weren't looking for an Si for her, we did both note that it had an aftermarket exhaust at that time.

Last weekend then, while looking for a new Si for me, we took a gander at it. Went for a short, very sweet sounding drive, and we knew this car was far from stock... popped the hood, and beheld this-

Are you kidding me?
The wife- who is a stickler about what does or does not make a car look "clowny"- actually liked that flame job! I personally don't care for it there, but will admit it's pretty well done.

But yeah, pre-installed mods. Right there we can see a K&N Typhoon intake, an Optima Redtop battery, and a P2R throttle body spacer. We'd also noted, besides the aforementioned Magnaflow exhaust, a Cusco rear strut brace and a Weathertech trunk liner. Also, a red Megan Racing H brace in front. The salesman also assured us there was an aftermarket header, explaining that that was the reason they couldn't "certify" the car.

Long story short, we bucked car-shopping convention and bought the car. Why? Because 11773 miles is why!

Seriously, who does that? Who puts that much work into a car, and doesn't drive it, and then leaves all those pricey bits on?

I've just done a full audit, and besides the stuff mentioned above, there are Skunk2 camber arms installed, and front and rear sway bars. The header is a "shorty", but it appears to have been ceramic coated. I wasn't able to get a decent pic, but if anyone can identify it by the collector, I'd appreciate it.

I had not done any suspension mods to my original Si, though I do have a set of Megan springs that I was going to install for the show, and which I will be putting on the new hotness next spring (not going to bother now, won't finish the wheels either until then, probably.) The stock Si always was fun to drive, but this thing drives like a freaking go-kart, sounds awesome, flies like the wind, and is honestly "like new"! And it waited for me.

(The wife is now spouting some nonsense about the car being "evil".)

So it's not really much of a "build thread" for me, given that someone else built it. But it's a hell of a starting point!

So this morning I arrived home from work, 6th day with the car, and as I'm about to get a out a flash of red catches my eye. And there, in a little recess under the VSA switch that I'd never noticed before, I see this-

WTF??? I have no clue, and while I suppose I could take the dash apart and follow it and see if it leads to a 20-shot of NOS or some other undiscovered cool shizz like that, I'm actually kind of afraid to mess with it!

Guesses are welcome...

Then I reattached the visors.
These are the same visors that I put on sad Fiji Blue less than 24 hours before she met her end. I actually cracked one taking them off of the old broken thing, and you can see it if you look, but I'm OK with it... war wound and such.

I also restored the "flair" from the old car...

...and then I let a lot of time go by...
After the accident, and with autumn fleeing and winter blowing to render my workspace inhospitable. I just sort of lost interest for a bit.

However, I've been working on some appearance mods, and there's some 50's ahead for the coming weekend, and I've ordered a new intake, and some red powders. Watch this space!

#################
EDIT 04/07/2013
#################

SO THEN it was Winter time, and NOTHING got done, until it wasn't and then stuff did. When we last left off, it was Thanksgiving, and I'd just swapped out the VTEC stickers for some shiny red chrome vinyl ones, and some striping... though I only did 3/4 of the stripe, and then drove around half-dressed until freaking Easter!

So while it was cold, I bought stuff online-

Mad props as always to GrafiXpressions, not only because they always get it right and deliver in a jiffy, but also because of the copious amounts of freebies they give away. They do a series of free stickers that pay homage to iconic "brands", and i was thrilled to see they made one that apes my favorite coffee/donut shop's logos. If you'd like some free stickers be sure to click on the "Free GRFXP Logos" link, because you can get one with every order. My tool chest is getting sick with these...

So I wanted to do JDM emblems all around, but I also wanted to maintain the theme I'd started with the red chrome vinyl. GRFXP had just the ticket, with 2-color overlays, including ones for the steering wheel emblem I'd already installed.

One thing to note, and I wasn't aware of this until I was actually trying to remove the stock emblems, but the mounting pins for 09-11 8th gens are spaced wider apart than they are for the 06-08. This in not a huge deal, because I think those pins are mostly for alignment purposes, but as far as GRFXP- and other sources- are concerned, these are OSFA for 8th gens. Just had to cut those pins off, b'leem you me the adhesive will hold.

So I used a piece thin gauge aluminum to slip under the emblem and lever it off. Broke the pins on the front one, the back one popped right off whole...

The properties of vinyl never cease to amaze me... when I started to apply these two-part overlays, it initially seemed like they would never lay down flat, and I spent at least fifteen minutes apiece pressing them down. Because of the slightly convex nature of the surface, it seemed their would always be a ridge protruding, but damn if the vinyl doesn't eventually lay flush (note if you're doing these- take the overlay- seen above- off of the top layer as soon as the piece is aligned and beginning to adhere...)

And here's the rear-

and last but not least- thematic parity achieved!

So as I've said, I swapped the VTEC stickers, and started a stripe. It was incomplete though (only piping under the doors, from wheel to wheel) which is why I didn't really post any pics. However, as it was actually spring-like this last week, I tackled the 'tails'. This meant that I needed to learn to trim the stripes into a point...

It's not so hard, just another skill that takes a bit of practice. Some result shots-

Next up- powder-coating my new((er)est)) intake...

#################
#################

Wow so it's been over a year since I updated- and what an awful year that was...

I did do some powder coating- an intake, a valve cover and a housekey... but fates conspired against me and landed my ass in the hospital. Long story short, chronic medical issues had me physically useless for the entire Spring and Summer, and while I did make it out to some 8th Meets, I did virtually nothing with the car. Poor poor car.

But that ends now! I've just completed a couple of projects, and I'm aching to show off a bit...

I've been driving w/o foggers for a while- one bulb was burnt out, but I wasn't in a hurry to replace it, as the other lense was in a sad state, courtesy of the never-ending Chicago construction season...

I know exactly when that happened, I was passing a crew that was tearing up blacktop with some giant rotating grinder thingy- literally a Zamboni-sized ashphalt-eater, and the spinning head was in an adjacent lane, inches from actual traffic. Bastards.

Sadly, genuine OEM replacements are north of 200 dollars PER SIDE for some insane reason. All the EFFS to that. I could've gone the EBAY route, but decided to try the "lexan-with-gobs-of-silicon-adhesive" route.

I had to order yellow tint vinyl that came all the way from China, and it needed two layers of that to match, but it came out pretty nice...

I'll say two things about that DIY and my own experience; when he says to use masses of electrical tape to clamp down the lexan, believe it... I thought I'd try Gorilla tape, which I absolutely love for many things, but this application was a huge fail for it. One side wasn't sealed, and I tried a futile "re-do", and ended up having to take the whole thing off and start over. With actual electrical tape FTW.

Secondly, though, where he demonstrates his dremel-cutting-wheel-shattering technique while cutting the lexan, I discovered an alternate method of lexan shaping; tin snips! Yes, you can safely and reliably cut that shizz with a big scissors (for reference, our material .093 of an inch thickness.) So much easier, and you won't lose an eye!

Concurrent with that, I did start and complete a mod that actually found me installing a piece that I'd powder coated with my own two hands; can you spot it in the picture below...?

A colored exhaust tip? Well why not? THe fact is, I was in Pep Boys getting something, and just happened to be looking at the "performance" parts... there was indeed a similar "matte black with red (opaque) highlights" tip there, and being that it matched my theme, I was sorely tempted. But I resisted, as a quick inspection that my Magnaflow exhaust has the tip integrated with the muffler. But as I considered options later, and knowing that a simple muffler swap should take all of an hour, I realized that I could make an even nicer tip in my own garage.

I ordered a Dynomax 16 inch bullet-style muffler, and got to work. TWO WEEKS later, it's finally done, and I'm going to make another thread soon detailing exactly WHY it took two weeks, but like so many simple-seeming mods, it refused to be as easy as planned, but I'm well-please with this result...

08/13/14
Finally installed the intake, and swapped out the cracked fuel-rail cover for one I've painted...

10/11/2014

I did another red chrome accent, using these-

On this-

This never ends... I hope.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
811 Posts
dat k20 is on FIRE!!! thats awesome that the fact it already came modded. if you still have skunk manifold or any other engine mods from the previous si, might as well, slap that on too.

·
Binks
18,140 Posts
yea but for car that has 11,000 miles, no brainer, even if the car had lambo doors it wouldnt even phase me:wigglesmiley:
It depends on how the car was treated. Lol. My friend bought a car that had around 15,000 miles, but it was a track car so the 15,000miles were harsh miles.

Nice new ride. It sucks that you lost the other one though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow that's a great find!!!! Congrats on your purchase! Looks mint.

My friend, who previously owned my FG2, also bought the car from a dealer that had the car for more than 4 months. They were planning to auction it when he was looking at it at the time. I just don't understand why some Si's aren't selling. I thought these cars were hotcakes!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words one and all, and please tell me what you think *THIS* is... just found that this morning!

Kill switch?
Rocket launcher?
20 shot?

I'm afraid to touch it... this car has some secrets, I'm telling yahs!

·
ಠ_ಠ
29,922 Posts
Id guess it was for interior lights or something like that...Id flip the switch with the car off and see what happens. If the previous owner only put a k&n typhoon and a shorty header on i doubt he did anything else that extreme. Seems like a good pickup, i know you were sad to get rid of the other SI but you don't want a fixed wrecked car!!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Thanks for the kind words one and all, and please tell me what you think *THIS* is... just found that this morning!

Kill switch?
Rocket launcher?
20 shot?

I'm afraid to touch it... this car has some secrets, I'm telling yahs!
Im leaning towards kill switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
That kill switch is too exposed. Mine is hidden. I told my dad where it is located exactly, but he still cannot find it. Lol.
May be exposed, but is primary use is prob a panic kill switch. For example if someone tried highjacking the car. But who knows what its wired to, until he flips that switch.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I sacked up and flipped the switch, and pressed the nasty red button, with the ignition both on and off, and the car running and not. Nuttin'.
I'm thinking it might be a lighting thing... maybe in the dark some LEDs will appear. Or not. Keep watching this space.

Update to add the visors that I added (again). Last mod on the old, first on the new. Seems fitting. Or ominous!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
So I sacked up and flipped the switch, and pressed the nasty red button, with the ignition both on and off, and the car running and not. Nuttin'.
I'm thinking it might be a lighting thing... maybe in the dark some LEDs will appear. Or not. Keep watching this space.

Update to add the visors that I added (again). Last mod on the old, first on the new. Seems fitting. Or ominous!
Heh. :in for updates:

·
Registered
651 Posts
wow. I agree the flames are not my style, but it honestly doesn't look bad. It was probably just for lulz.

NIce pick up though man!, you should get a dyno done and see where your at!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts