8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I've just followed the how to remove the rear speakers guide, but since the speakers are held in by 2 pressure brackets (the two things that hook into the square holes in the rear dash) and a single bolt.

My problem is that I don't know where to go from here...there are no standard holes in which to install my 6.5" 2-way speakers. Do I need to cut into the rear dash at this point or is there a speaker holder out there that I won't have to cut into in order to install these speakers.

Thanks for your help all!

BTW...this is for a 06 civic sedan EX.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've actually cut out the inside of the factory speakers and used the outer plastic ring structure to screw down my Infinity 6/1 on top of it and then put it back just like the factory mounted it. I found this to be the easiest way to mount an after market speaker without cutting out a hole on the rear deck.
You may have to modify underside of the speaker grill a little bit since it'll stick up a little higher than the factory speaker.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
445 Posts
interesting...so you wiped the stock speakers? or just cut the speaker off and seperated it from the lower ring. I guess that would be the best way for now. Speaker kits s/b out soon. I hope,or I'll be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did end up sacrificing the factory speakers. I figured it's a lot better than making modifications to the rear deck. I've simply cut out the speaker's diaphragm with a box cutter and snipped thin plastic basket supports in the back with a snip. All I've used is thick plastic rings that sit on top of rear deck. The holes in the rear deck are not perfect circles and it'll get in the way of putting in the after market speakers which tends to have larger basket structure. Doing it this way not only facilitated the mounting but also lifted the basket structure just enough to stay clear of the metal piece that protrudes the holes. Be sure to not over tighten the screws that hold speakers down. It's extremely easy to over tighten and break the plastic clips that the screws go into.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
has anyone else tried this mod and made it work without drilling into the stock rear dash??

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i'm going to try the rear speakers soon.. figure out different ways of mounting it w/o ruining the stock stuff

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been contemplating this for a while as well, have another month before I will be getting the money for my new infinity 6.5's, so if anyone comes up with anything please let me know

I'm hoping for an aftermarket kit, because I'm gonna do my front speakers first, then the sub when I can afford it, then the rear deck...eventually

·
Registered
48 Posts
Using Spacers

It looks like mdf spacers can be fitted by running the speaker
screws through mdf through the rectagular holes that the stock speaker
tabs latch into, with speed nuts on the other side. Then something
to attach through the plastic nut. No drilling.

I'll let you know how this works.

·
Registered
177 Posts
gglxsdn said:
It looks like mdf spacers can be fitted by running the speaker
screws through mdf through the rectagular holes that the stock speaker
tabs latch into, with speed nuts on the other side. Then something
to attach through the plastic nut. No drilling.

I'll let you know how this works.
+1 ^^^^^this is gonna be your best option. but if it were me.. i'd take em out and throw em in the garbage. real fill speakers are such a waiste of money. Also a huge point deduction if you ever compete..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
CiscoBoy said:
I've actually cut out the inside of the factory speakers and used the outer plastic ring structure to screw down my Infinity 6/1 on top of it and then put it back just like the factory mounted it. I found this to be the easiest way to mount an after market speaker without cutting out a hole on the rear deck.
You may have to modify underside of the speaker grill a little bit since it'll stick up a little higher than the factory speaker.
I hope this helps.
i did the same and it mounted fine..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
DSMKLR said:
+1 ^^^^^this is gonna be your best option. but if it were me.. i'd take em out and throw em in the garbage. real fill speakers are such a waiste of money. Also a huge point deduction if you ever compete..
there is nothing wrong with rear fill for the average person or even an audiophile.. stock ones usually work fine. but i would never spend more then 50 bucks to replace them.

just remember your sound stage comes from the front.

·
Registered
283 Posts
your best to just buy them new online, they only run $15 a piece at hondapartsdeals.com I would sell you mine, but I'm going to scrap my rear ones for the plastic mounting ring like I did on the front. It works great!!!

T

·
0 Posts
hmmm?

anyone have a clue to any specs here for Stock speakers?
sorry if i missed this somewhere here...

Watts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts