8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So, I pulled a "DOH" on my way from TX to SC. I masking taped my car, and I kept it on for a week after I needed it; hence, it left a nice trail of residue on my car, specifically on my rear view mirrors.

I tried removing it with the traditional soap and water, but that glue was literally stuck on it. I also tried goo-gone (doh), and it seemed to take the clear coat right off...Finally I got frustrated and used a rough edge sponge. It was working, but clearly after the water dried, I totally took a layer of paint off.

Well, the good news is that the paint came off on the right side, and I haven't really touched the left side mirror yet, till I get some feedback from you guys.

I need a solution to get rid of the glue. And also, if I could work around it.

Possible Ideas:

replace mirrors with CF mirrors?
put on a CF overlay?
repaint the mirrors another color?

my really good friend did this with his -

Any input would be appreciated.

PS - Do you guys know anyone that has modded their mirrors/replaced on a FG2?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't do another color for the mirror. I guess you could repaint them the original color? Order new mirrors? Try to forget about it?

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Carbon fiber mirrors! Do it up. Overlaying the stock mirrors is a good option too. Carbon fiber is always the solution :thumb:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, CF Mirrors was my first option...I can't find a link

Either of CF mirror replacements or CF mirror overlays...HELP!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phong: Well, that wouldn't really help, because after heating up the glue, I'd still need to apply water (which would cool the temperature down). Maybe use boiling water and soap before heating the glue?

Rando: I used a combo of Blue and White. The blue one came off effortlessly, but the white one was what left the residue. Stick with blue, if you're planning on doing a cross country and you need to tape up.

Anyone find the CF mirrors/layovers yet? I could only find the mirrors for older generation civics :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts