8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went over an already run over dog on the highway and couldn't swerve to avoid it as it was midnight and the highway was dark. I slammed on my brakes for a good 2-3 seconds but not all the way, just pretty hard.

I get off at the next exit (hoping my front bumer is intact [lowered on eibach sportlines] after the loud thump)

I look in my rear view mirror to see white smoke coming from my wheels (thanks to the car's head lights behind me). I pull to the gas station and see my bumper is fine and there are no leaks or funny vibrations. I looked at my wheels, under the car, nothing. BAD smell but I thought it was the dog hair + friction.

The next day I see my rear rotors only are so F'd up it's scary. The pads are still there but the grooves left on the rotors are insane. Taking it to the dealer this week. Any ideas? Recalls? (did a quick search already) Link? etc..

TIA everyone

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
u must have slammed ur brakes pretty hard. i remember slamming on mine to stop for a red light and heard grinding noises (ABS kicking in), but my rotors dont look messed up or anything.

how many miles do u have on ur current brakes/rotors anyway?

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
Are both rotors like that or just 1? I think either your pads are smoked or you slammed on them so hard one of the pads broke off the backing plate of the pad assembly and the rivits are grinding into the rotors. I've seen it a hundred times. I'm a tech. Check to see how much pad is there. Not the back plate.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
You warped your rotors due to the fact that you panic and slamed on the brake pedal. Warped rotors (in most instances) are caused by the brake pads being operated at temperatures outside of their specified range. When the pads get too hot the pad material actually melts and 'fuses' itself to the rotor surface and creates a 'bump' on the surface of the rotor.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
something is really F'd up. Bring it back to Honda asap.
going tomorrow

You warped your rotors due to the fact that you panic and slamed on the brake pedal. Warped rotors (in most instances) are caused by the brake pads being operated at temperatures outside of their specified range. When the pads get too hot the pad material actually melts and 'fuses' itself to the rotor surface and creates a 'bump' on the surface of the rotor.
that makes sense, I will take a closer look to see if that's the case.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the dog caught my e-brake cable. If that's the case I'm sure the dealer is gonna say too-bad-so-sad.

hmm... brake upgrade? :D

HFP ..

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
jack stands, car jack, car wash, and a change of clothes. much cheaper than the repair cost.

Does our Honda's not have a Emergency brake light or bell? Or is that just one less feature that a VW GTI would have and the Civic doesn't.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
jack stands, car jack, car wash, and a change of clothes. much cheaper than the repair cost.

Does our Honda's not have a Emergency brake light or bell? Or is that just one less feature that a VW GTI would have and the Civic doesn't.
It has a light and a warning beep. But the switch is built into the parking brake handle (probably is in the VW too, but I can't say for sure). If the cable is physically pulled from outside the car the light and beep won't happen. I am fairly sure this is the case with any car.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.