8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My gf lives on this particular hill that requires an uphill climb. Every time I drive up that hill (I'd say 45 degree incline), by the time I park in front of her house my rear passenger wheel smells of something burning. I have no idea what it is.

I've had my Civic for 3 months and it's been happening since the first month. None of the other wheels are affected and my dealership can't figure out what's wrong with it. The mechanic tried to smooth the disc brake but that didn't do anything.

Any guesses? Mechanics seem pretty stumped. It doesn't happen going downhill!

·
Registered
563 Posts
My first thought is that it might be oily exhaust getting up in there some how. My second thought is that something may be locking up, but it does not make sense because it does not happen when you go down hill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you checked to see if your car is part of the bearing recall? That steep of a hill may cause extra friction if the bearing is defective.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
A few days ago I had a costumer complaint about a burning smell coming out of her front driver side front tire(07 civic ex sedan auto). Put the car on the lift and found out it was a plastic bag stuck on to the exhaust.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bearings weren't the problem. Sorry to bring this thread back up but I discovered that the smell is not coming from the tire itself. It's coming from the exhaust somehow. One of my friends thinks some sort of leak might get on the exhaust somehow and cause the burnt smell. I can't tell if it's something outside the exhaust or from inside the exhaust. It smells like fresh tar/asphalt or burnt rubber.

Are there any leaks that might cause something that smell like this? It only happens when I go uphill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts