8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't hit anything. I started backing out of the driveway, and after moving a few feet, heard a scraping noise, stopped and pulled forward. Noticed my drivers rear tire was leaning a bit, looked underneath and saw this. Has this ever been discussed or happened before to anyone? The break is so clean and vertical, like metal fatigue or something. I have no idea how this happened? Any ideas how this could have broken?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I didn't hit anything. I started backing out of the driveway, and after moving a few feet, heard a scraping noise, stopped and pulled forward. Noticed my drivers rear tire was leaning a bit, looked underneath and saw this. Has this ever been discussed or happened before to anyone? The break is so clean and vertical, like metal fatigue or something. I have no idea hot this happened? Any ideas how this could have broken?

Weird. How many Kms(Miles), any accidents? Never seen a control arm snap like that before. I guess there's a first time for everything. Sorry am' man. At least it didn't happen when you were on the highway or something.

Life's like an ex-wife...............Glad I'm married!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No accidents, 424,000 miles/682361.856 Kilometers. I drive quite a bit obviously, but I've never seen or heard of this before.
You're right, if I had been on the freeway, might have died.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
No accidents, 424,000 miles/682361.856 Kilometers. I drive quite a bit obviously, but I've never seen or heard of this before.

You're right, if I had been on the freeway, might have died.

Holy ish!!!! 600,000+Kms!!!!!! Where do you drive everyday, New Brunswick to Cali? No wonder you had failure. Had you ever replaced the control arms?

Life's like an ex-wife...............Glad I'm married!!!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
hmm im guessing from like road debris and rust took place i mean it lasted this long and im pretty sure that control arm musta go up and down like millions of times since you put that many miles on it, wont be that hard to replace i suggest replace the other side too and check all the suspension components, and have you replace the shocks in the rear before , if so how many times and who did it , it coulda be like somone coulda put a jack under neath it and can cause a chip or a slight crack and work its way through and finally snapped but this was all a guess as a fellow member to another glad you wasnt driving when this happen

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Never seen that before, but there aren't a lot of 424,000 mile cars on the road. Doesn't look rusty but I'm sure it's seen some potholes before. What's strange to me though is that it snapped like that when it's made of steel, they typically just bend. Unless someone was trying to take you out and cut halfway through the arm when you were away.

I would email a picture to Honda tech support or your local dealer. Not asking for warranty coverage or bitching about quality, but simply out of curiosity and to bring it to their attention.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Never seen that before, but there aren't a lot of 424,000 mile cars on the road. Doesn't look rusty but I'm sure it's seen some potholes before. What's strange to me though is that it snapped like that when it's made of steel, they typically just bend. Unless someone was trying to take you out and cut halfway through the arm when you were away.

I would email a picture to Honda tech support or your local dealer. Not asking for warranty coverage or bitching about quality, but simply out of curiosity and to bring it to their attention.
+1

Crazy to me that that'd happen since it looks clean (no rust). It looks like someone cut into it about 80% through and it snapped at the top, the bottom looks way too clean of a break. I would without a doubt say sabotage or more likely a factory defect. I've heard it happening with jack stands where there's an issue in the molding process that'll leave a paper-thin crack/gap in the product at which point they just dip it in paint which seals the crack and it slips right on through QC. The steel they use is too flexible to just shear off like that unless there's a defect or some very abnormal conditions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after off pics

Hi ,
Well I got the control arm off, take a look at the clean snap off. Note there isn't any rust. I believe this was just a matter of metal fatigue and perhaps it was a defect from the factory,,, that just lasted me for 400k+ miles before snapping. The bushings were all still good too.
There was no road debris damage, I've taken good care of the car over all these miles, replaced the shocks at proper intervals, it's just a bizarre incident which I hope never happens to anyone else.
Sabotage had occurred to me, but my enemies aren't that smart or devious enough to hatch such a bizarre plan. Funny suggestion though.
I have contacted Honda, sent them pics, and I'm giving them the part. Their engineers can have fun with it.

I replaced the control arm with one from a 2011 with 30k miles, which I got off a salvaged civic at my local junkyard, $65. That junker had front end damage only, and the control arm looked basically new. I also replaced the stabilizer linkage with new OEM $20, since it was busted as a result of the control arm snapping off. Lots of fun in the garage. Have a great one, and thanks for the replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
I swear I can see some swirl marks on the bottom part of that split, looks just like the swirl marks that I get from cutting metal with an angle grinder.

But either way, good to hear ya got it sorted out for cheap!

·
Registered
60 Posts
It really does look like it was cut about 3/4 of the way through. The metal grain is inconstant throughout. You can definitely tell it tore apart at the top, however not so much the rest of the way.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
Atomsmasher, does your VIN start with a 1 or 2?
I'm curious to know if this part will go to our factory or if it will go down south.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That is astonishing break. It's not cut. Fatigue combined with some material issue. If you show that to Honda, they might be interested to have it. Send it to R&D or something because that is a really serious liability failure to have. But it's easy to chalk it up to material quality.... an easy end-point in failure analysis. Still amazing.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It starts with a 2. I did take the part (parts plural now) to my local dealer, and they are shipping it to Honda engineering somewhere. They said they would keep me up to date on whatever they say or think about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My take is that it is metal fatigue. If you bend a piece of metal back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, like a gazillion times, it will cleanly break at the central focal point of the flex. When I worked on aircraft we would sometimes see this and then rivet a doubler (additional same or thicker piece of metal) across the flex area to add strength.
Maybe this control arm should be thicker in this area, or have a doubler.
I also wonder if the new improved upper rear control arm which fixed the premature inner shoulder tire wear, added any extra stress to the lower control arm. That's some engineer's job to figure out.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Thanks for the update! Perhaps this will be the start of yet another recall to add to the list of 8th gen recalls....
You aren't likely to see a recall for an issue happening with 1/1,000,000 cars after 400,000+ miles with no associated injuries. At that mileage anything can happen, hard to pin it on Honda.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
It starts with a 2. I did take the part (parts plural now) to my local dealer, and they are shipping it to Honda engineering somewhere. They said they would keep me up to date on whatever they say or think about it.
That's good... that means it will go to us.
I'm going to forward your info to our warranty guys. I'm curious to know what comes out of this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts