8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclamer: Do this at your own risk. This is not intended to make them look new, just clean them up.

Part of my "clean up build" is just getting the car back to "newish" looking condition.

While my lights weren't bad (I had actually recleared them before), my good buddy requested a "how to" for his lights that were yellow and oxidized. This is really easy, and should only take about 30 minutes, maybe a touch longer if the lights are really yellow. If you have yellow lights, this might not cure that. Mine still have a hint of yellow in the sun.

Supplies
(1) Mineral Spirits
(2) Gloss wood clear
(3) Blue shop towels
(4) 1500-2000 grit sand paper
(5) Solution (same as with garnishes or overlays) - 5 drops dish soap in about a 20% rubbing alcohol to 80% water solution

Start by taping off surrounding areas…you really only need to do this for sanding and not so much the clear.

Then take your solution, and spray the light and the sandpaper and begin sanding in a hatch pattern (just like prepping for a paint job). Sand until the majority of the imperfections are out (some might be deep and not able to be sanded out. I have a couple like that). Once you are satisfied, spray on more solution and wipe down with a microfiber and let dry for 5 min or so.

Now it's time to re-clear. Mix equal parts of mineral spirits and wood glue together

You will use VERY little and this can run, so keep an eye on it for a couple mintues and touch up any runs that will occur. Most of your "clear" will be thrown away (it really does take so little for the entire light)

Next fold a blue shop towel like so

And work your way from top to bottom. If anything gets in the clear (lint or bubbles), work it toward the edge of the light until you are happy.

Before:

During

And finished

All finished! Let it dry over night and you are good to go! I usually buff it out a week or two later, and it can be buffed over and over again if it starts to yellow at all. When it starts getting foggy again (it took about 3 years on my mustang), just simply do it again. Total cost is about $20-$30.

·
Registered
‘09 Si sedan
188 Posts
Were your lights very pitted? It definitely looks great, I just think mine may be beyond repair as I have a lot of pitting from driving all winter down 93 to Boston - damn salt!

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is some good info gonna suggest it to my brother he is terrible about washing his car and his headlights are looking like ****.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Aren't you supposed to re-seal the headlights after you sand them down?

Isn't that one of the things that's included in the store-bought kits?
Most of what I've seen does not include that. Including the meguires I bought.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Your also going to need the repolish kits afterwards because every three months if you don't clear it up it'll come right back as if you never did it

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most of what I've seen does not include that. Including the meguires I bought.
Good point. A friend of mine does professional auto body repair, & redoing headlights is part of his job. He told me that the store bought kits work, but the yellowing and oxidation always comes back.

The more permanent solution is to spray clearcoat on top to prevent the oxidation again.

Why not use the store bought kit to sand away the yellow, buff it with the included Polish, and go the next step to clearcoat them. I'm going to try this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts