8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can this be done? stupid question, anything can be done with the right amount of loot. has it been done before is the question i should be asking....and if so pics vids how to? im wanting to go f/i but i dont really want to do extensive engine work. to costly and and takes way too long. imo anyway....ive done other builds ie my oldskool supra, an mr-2 turbo as well as a few dsm's. all pre-existing turbo cars...never a n/a to a boosted car....so with that being said can i get away with doing this swap( provided i can find a rear end collision donor car ) for under 5k? i work in a body shop so the possibilites for me there r endless....please any input would be helpful...and please no ish talking as im just trying to get some info. not u saying how stupid i am for wanting to do this...i will weigh the options and decide if its stupid on my own....again any info helps ty....whit all that being said can i frankenstein a k24 block with a k20 head or vise vers???sorry guys im new to this honda thing...but am eager to learn

·
Premium Member
12,702 Posts
Buy a turbo kit and a k24?

Not sure if you gave driven one, but the rdx is a turd up top, a si would probably take it

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
"Honda said that it wouldn't bolt up. The K23 block shares no dimensions with the K24. It is not just a destroked K24. The engine was designed to work with the super-handling awd system. The only tranny that Honda has that uses SH-AWD is from the RL. In the article they say that the RDX uses a modified version of the RL transmission. Unless someone were to fabricate an adapter plate to attach a K-series tranny it will not bolt up. Honda also stated that the engine shares no mounts or mounting points with other K-series. I'm sure it is possible for mounts to be made and welded in place but it will never be a simple bolt in affair. What it comes down to is would it be cost effective to swap it in. I don't see how it could be. Way too much fab work for only 240hp. Plus the cost of the engine, ECU, harnesses, etc. You could just turbo the K20Z3 for much less and produce similar if not better numbers. I guess time will tell and I'm sure someone out there will try it."
-FujiBlueSi

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I don't think it would even fit under a Civic hood because it has a pretty fat top mount intercooler. I suppose you could make a custom retrofit kit to make it a front mount intercooler, but there again, that's a lot of custom work.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
there is alot of guys on here running turbo kits without built motors making great power..

look into fullrace,SRT,SSA,maybe AJP....

or u could go like me and buy the manifold,injectors,wastegate,bov,fuel pump,intercooler and all that jazz and get a shop to custom make the downpipe and intercooler pipes.

either way have atleast 8k to spend... more around 10k to really be safe

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
spending all that money for a rather mundane powerplant makes no sense when you could just slap a snail on your motor and it can become a monster.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
doin it right the first time.. remember alotta ppl "slap a snail" on it.. and then are like "oh damn this, this, and that are wrong... "
some people just don't have any business slapping a turbo on anything, that why there are competent shops and you pay to have it installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts