8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much explains it. At low speed there is a rattle coming from the armrest. There is nothing inside of it, and nothing seems loose. Sounds like its coming from underneath. I searched but nothing came up. Anyone ever hear about something like this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Title pretty much explains it. At low speed there is a rattle coming from the armrest. There is nothing inside of it, and nothing seems loose. Sounds like its coming from underneath. I searched but nothing came up. Anyone ever hear about something like this?
I have a similar problem especially if you cruise around the 1500-2000rpm range and going up a slight hill. I don't think it's coming from the armrest. When RPM is between 1500-2000k, there is a lot of vibration on the engine/tranny. Everytime you give it a little gas around this RPM range, the vibration gets worse and affects other parts that are loose. I think the noise is coming from the heat shield right below the centre armrest underneath the vehicle. I just give a little more gas pass the 2000rpm range to get rid of the noise. Take your car into the dealership and get it fixed, it's covered under warranty.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks man. Do you think things like bumps, etc. would also cause a vibration of the heat shield?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've got the same rattle in my FA1. Right under the console arm rest at idle. Only at idle, not any other speed. It stops if I put my arm on the console lid. I'm guessing it's part of the sliding mechanism?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird, mine is coming from underneath the console. At idle there is no noise. Only when going over bumps a slow speed (Think speed bump, etc.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Weird, mine is coming from underneath the console. At idle there is no noise. Only when going over bumps a slow speed (Think speed bump, etc.)
By the sound of this, it might not be the head shield but the interior rear duct connections (Sedans). The duct connections might have came loose, there was a thread about duct connections coming loose and turning the cup holders into cup warmers in the winter time...lol. :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got this rattle big time in my '08, it is the connection where the armrest closes. Should be an easy fix, maybe stick a piece of foam tape in there where it clips down and that should dampen it, I've just been too lazy to do it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I think I may have figured this out, and frankly I feel like an ass for not figuring it out sooner. I belive its the passenger seatbelt mechanism hitting the armrest. I move the seatbelt clip and went over come bumps in the cold and I didn't hear the noise I normally hear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i get rattling from all places but not the armrest...when windows are halfway open, my sunroof rattles when its open and closed! does anyone have this problem?? sorry to thread jack...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
if you have an aftermarket exhaust especially anything above 2.5inch u should check to see if the piping his hitting under the car or rattling against it..i had this problem with my skunk2 70mm and just adjusted some stuff by my cat/header and no more rattles..

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got this rattle big time in my '08, it is the connection where the armrest closes. Should be an easy fix, maybe stick a piece of foam tape in there where it clips down and that should dampen it, I've just been too lazy to do it.
I have the same thing. Any DIY fix for this?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Mine isn't so much on the center console armrest (though, that creaks like an old rocking chair, especially in the cold), but the cupholders or underneath there rattle. I can't seem to figure out EXACTLY where it is rattling from, but it's going in (for the second time) to try to get the dealer to replicate it.

It's summer, and it's car love time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts