8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a rattle whenever i go over a bump. It seems to be coming from inside the dash, not the actual plastics rubbing but kinda sounds like a lose wire of some sort WITHIN the dash. Anyone have this problem?

Also i was wondering has anyone taken the dash completely to fix it? (Radio Panel, Airbag Panel, and the panel that connects the windshield) Basically the whole dash. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you been doing any work under the dash like running wires or anything like that. The reason I ask is because a wile back I was running wires through the firewall and ended up leaving my flashlight under there. It would constantly rattle and I had no clue what was going on until a few days later and the flashlight fell loose hitting me in the foot.

You can check out this thread for info on removing your dash
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inte...006-honda-civic-interior-tear-down-guide.html

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent done anything to my dash, but the dealer has replaced my radio due to it having the 2009 "peeling display"

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You have an R18? Sounds like from the front right? There's a TSB for replacing the motor mount because there is a rattle when going over bumps

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Or it could just be something in your glove box. I know mine will make some noises once in a while but it depends you pack the stuff inside. :shrug: Try that before going crazy!

·
Registered
939 Posts
You have an R18? Sounds like from the front right? There's a TSB for replacing the motor mount because there is a rattle when going over bumps
motor mount causes a rattle inside the pass. side of dash????

Doesn't make sense, but I have a damn rattle myself.

Any proof to this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Using a stethoscope, I pin pointed the rattle in my Civic to a module that is (I'm pretty sure) part of the SRS system. The module is way up high under the dash, above and to the right of the radio, above and to the left of the heater blower. I tried to remove the passenger side dash to see if I could get at this module from above but was unsuccessful; some of the clips were easy to get loose but a few would not let go and I was afraid I was going to break something so I quit. Still have the rattle.

Does anyone know how to properly remove the passenger side dash? I'm talking about the big piece that says "SRS Airbag" on it, NOT the parts covered in the widely publicized and hugely valuable interior tear down guide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So i have a rattle whenever i go over a bump. It seems to be coming from inside the dash, not the actual plastics rubbing but kinda sounds like a lose wire of some sort WITHIN the dash. Anyone have this problem?

Also i was wondering has anyone taken the dash completely to fix it? (Radio Panel, Airbag Panel, and the panel that connects the windshield) Basically the whole dash. Thanks for your input!
I have an si and theres this noise i cant seem to locate the source for. sounds like very light scratching or ticking from inside the dash espescially when i go over bumps. its only noticeable with the radio and blower off all the way. reminds me of a geiger counter lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
it may sound like it's under the dash, but you are MOST likely hearing the suspension...

vibrations/creaks do resonate!

one common issue is the bump stops for the suspension, and the motor mounts.

get those checked (esp when going over bumps, what do you think your suspension and bump stops do?!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have the same sound, its like theres a lose screw inside the dash. Everytime i go turn it rolls to the opposite side that i am turning. its pretty freaking annoying.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
While driving have a passenger open the glove box completely. Meaning depress the left and right Corners when open to open it fully. Inside are some plastics that rattle. I just taped it in my friends mugen and it stopped. Gotta play around with it to find out whats exactly making noise and just fix that sucker

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
theres a difference between the dash and the dash base.
you pull the airbag, gauge bezels, radio bezel etc off

and there is a MASSIVE one peice panel that has your little aux pocket and defogger holes etc.

apparnetly the cheapest a dealer will swap it out for is 500 and thats the employee, non ripped off price.

it is a ***** to get the entire dash ou tof the car.

sucks for me too becasue im getting one carboned so ill have to either swap it myself (yea right) or pay the fee :/

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was totally wrong but I solved my rattle!

Using a stethoscope, I pin pointed the rattle in my Civic to a module that is (I'm pretty sure) part of the SRS system. The module is way up high under the dash, above and to the right of the radio, above and to the left of the heater blower. I tried to remove the passenger side dash to see if I could get at this module from above but was unsuccessful; some of the clips were easy to get loose but a few would not let go and I was afraid I was going to break something so I quit. Still have the rattle.

Does anyone know how to properly remove the passenger side dash? I'm talking about the big piece that says "SRS Airbag" on it, NOT the parts covered in the widely publicized and hugely valuable interior tear down guide.
I was WAY wrong. I stripped my dash clean, removed ALL the dash panels (yes, I figured out how to remove the passenger air bag) but the rattle was still there. It turns out, the rattle in my car was coming from (you're not going to believe this) the wiper control on the right side of the steering column. I have an EX-L with the variable speed wipers. Its wiper control, unlike the LX and DX, has a plastic end cap that rattles like a tiny baby rattle. See my fix below.

EX wiper control with end cap removed:

I applied a small disk of Damplifier Pro to the inside of the end cap. Also shown is the filed-down jeweler's screwdriver used to pry the cap out of the wiper control assembly.

Here is a shot of the reassembled wiper control showing the minimal disassembly damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This fault has occured on my 2009 Honda Civic 2.2 the rattle / tapping, sounds like it is comming from behind the speedo, or windscreen heater vent. But it is probably comming from the windscreen cowl at the bottom of the windscreen on the outside. I found on other forums that if you slide some tape inbetween the windscreen and cowl. The creaking / tapping sound will dissapear, it worked for me. Any bits of grit that get trapped will make this noise. It's easier than removing the dashboard. I was ready to remove the dash, glad i didn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.