8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard it, brought it to my mechanic, he said your engine is shot, low end problems. I am having a tough time believing that, just cause Honda engines are better than that.
So, the symptoms are just that, it starts around 3500-4000 rpm, it doesn't seem to rattle as bad if it is more under load, ie. going uphill in that range. Also, the noise does not seem "strong" enough to be something low end, like a rod. It is only when I am on the throttle, and I notice it if I am barely touching the throttle, like around 3700 rpm, i take my foot off the throttle, cause I don't want it to start making the noise, and then gently press on the pedal, and I can hear it very well.
I brought a colleague out to take a ride, big Mustang guy, has a Shelby 350 at home. He is thinking valve, rocker, something like that, but definitely on the topside of the engine. Now he might be used to bigger displacement engines, and the rod having a beefier sound if it is shaking around. My guess is it would make more of a racket, and be constant, not starting at a certain rpm, but that might be what is throwing it off. He said get a new valve cover gasket, and take the cover off to get a look inside.
I called my mechanic back up, he diagnosed this close to a month ago, I have been on vacation, and I mentioned valves or lifter or something and he swears its shot. He was looking around for an engine to swap out, and he is having a tough time finding a K20Z3.
I am in Westchester County, NY maybe I could be pointed to a mechanic whom specializes in Hondas? When I search I get dealers.

Any help, or insight would be helpful, even... insightful

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my colleague take a look, he is totally gearhead, has a Shelby mustang that he is restoring. He comes out with his stethoscope, he listens and then say you listen. Sure enough its coming from the top. I can hear it clear as a bell.

So, again, can someone recommend a really good Honda-knowlegeable guy in the Westchester County area of NY? Anything around there is good too.

Thanks,

JimL

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear the Civic is giving you a hard time. It sounds like it could be something valve related to me too, although it is hard to truly diagnose a car over the internet.

If you're really having a hard time finding someone who can get you straightened out feel free to give us a call at (203) 483-6100 and setup an appointment. We're located in Branford, CT which is about 1 1/2 hours away if I'm not mistaken. It's a little bit of a drive for sure, but we're plenty familiar with these engines and can get all the OE Honda parts you may need.

Hope everything works out for you!

-Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear the Civic is giving you a hard time. It sounds like it could be something valve related to me too, although it is hard to truly diagnose a car over the internet.

If you're really having a hard time finding someone who can get you straightened out feel free to give us a call at (203) 483-6100 and setup an appointment. We're located in Branford, CT which is about 1 1/2 hours away if I'm not mistaken. It's a little bit of a drive for sure, but we're plenty familiar with these engines and can get all the OE Honda parts you may need.

Hope everything works out for you!

-Craig
Craig, thanks, yes, you are kinda far, I will keep you in mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check torque converter. That's my guess. Everyone mentions stutter begins around operating temperatures. So trans and torque converter are hot to. Sign of failing torque converter is stuttering at warm temps including stutter up small inclines. My 08 Civic does the same but it also bogs down when shifting in 5th gear. Poor Acceleration at random times so I'm bummed on the poor acceleration but on stutter I'm really leaning on the torque converter. Anybody agree?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts