8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting news tidbit over at The Truth About Cars:

UK Set to Raise Driving Age to 18. Should the U.S. Follow Suit?
(Some of the responses following the story are interesting, too.)

I'm an older guy, but I wonder: What do some of you youngin's think?

Regards,
Glenn in CT

[Edit:]
Note to site Admins: Thought I'd corrected mis-spelling of "driving" in the thread title, but is has not shown up yet. Just a "takes time" thing? [Edit #2:] Thanks to the moderators for fixing my typo in the title. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
raise it...

Pro
less people on the road
less gas needed
less polution

Con
kids sitting around with nothing to do... they may get in to trouble.
we dont have very good public transportation here in south florida.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i think age is irrelevant, I agree with the increasing the level of training. I also think you should be reevaluated every 5 to 10 years. This will get the elderly that should not be driving off the road while still allowing the elderly that can drive to keep driving. I know some 60 year olds that should not be driving while my grandfather at 78 is as compotent and physically able as some 50 year olds.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Only mods can change the title. I think it would be a good idea to raise the limit, I was not old enough to start driving and ruined my record right off the bat.

·
Registered
897 Posts
twistedframe said:
No, I don't think they should raise the driving age. I think they should actually increase the training needed to get a license. In some states all you have to do is a pass a test with no formal training. to me that is absurd.
:yeahthat:

I agree with more training. I don't think it is so much age...rather than attitude and maturity. I can find 15 and 16 year olds that deserve to be able to drive. I can also find 20 somethings that should have never been given a license.

Increase the training and make it a more intensive thing...test them more than once. Make them pass levels of training that simulate real-world scenarios. My friend's kid just got his license and a number of times he was scared to death because another driver did something unexpected. He simply was not ready for the road.

Now...he is a case where he deserves to drive at 16. I know other kids that talk smack to their parents...pull a lot of BS behind their parents back...aren't responsible yet expect the parentals to hand over the keys the day they turn 16. Plus all they had to do was memorize the book...spit it back out on the test and prove to some test agent that they can handle a car and only understand what the laws are...not necessarily abide by them. I wish we had a way to screen out for attitude as well (for those under 18).

More training...tougher testing and more REAL WORLD experience. Driving here in south Florida, New York and Southern California is like going to war. You best be on your game every single day. You can't have a smart a$$ behind the wheel thinking he/she already knows it all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Janizary said:
Lower the driving age...on both sides of the scale. I'll take a 14 year old driving over a dosing, drug stupored 98 year old in a 6000lb Caddy death machine. ;)

Driving tests for the elderly. If you live in Vegas, PHX, Florida, etc. you know exactly what I am talking about...

HELL YAH! Old people don't have a damn clue. In the last month I've heard about two recks caused by only people. In both, they didn't even know they were the ones at fault. F_ckin Dah! :chill:

·
Registered
210 Posts
agree with pretty much everyone, more training to get license and retest every five years, ohio just changed the rules for new drivers too where they are not allowed to have any passengers or 1 passenger only until they are 18, somethin like that not exactly sure

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
benmunger said:
raise it...

Pro
less people on the road
less gas needed
less polution

Con
kids sitting around with nothing to do... they may get in to trouble.
we dont have very good public transportation here in south florida.
I agree...
Don't forget insurance would go down, as well:thumb:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Somehow I think some folks here would put me in the 'old folks' category.

Poor GeezerSi will really be in trouble then. ;)

If we can get universal regular testing, I'd be the first to sign up. Lots of drivers of ALL ages seem to have issues driving. I see them every day on the roads here. Perhaps 'soccer moms' should have their own category. (Ducks a thrown shoe from my wife)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
What's more annoying than young drivers are the old people that can't see ****.

What also annoys me to hell is

1. merge/change lanes without looking
2. Last minute right turn onto the main road and make you have to change lanes or break really hard
3. 2+ lane highway. Two cars driving equivalently slow

·
Registered
542 Posts
Janizary said:
Lower the driving age...on both sides of the scale. I'll take a 14 year old driving over a dosing, drug stupored 98 year old in a 6000lb Caddy death machine. ;)

Driving tests for the elderly. If you live in Vegas, PHX, Florida, etc. you know exactly what I am talking about...
Older Texas drivers are horrible as well!

I wouldn't lower the age, I think a harder test would be fine. Everyone should learn to drive a Manual as well.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
considering i started working part-time in high school after school for
added allowance, i needed to be able to drive to work....so i wouldn't
want my son asking for a ride from mom each time after school to take
him to work.

What they need is more rules and guidelines for teens, but keep the
driving age the same.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
they need to first follow suit in having a somewhat decent quality of public transportation outside of Chicago and NYC before they can attempt anything like this

everything stems from public transport. they cant make tests harder to pass like they are in other countries because too many people would fail, and theres no public transport to get them going anywhere. having public transport means only people who want to drive will drive. the roads will be safer, the demand for gas will be less and the price for gas will then be less.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
ithink there should be re-testing done every 5-10 years with evaluations of tickets that were recieved during that time

1 - 20 of 43 Posts