8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I have an ‘11 civic coupe lx.
a few weeks ago my radio made a loud boom and then no sound came out of the speakers despite the radio still being displayed. Turned off the car and back on the radio worked no problems.
Now I gamble everytime I turn it on. Sometimes there’s no sound, but radio is still on and I can try to change stations, CD, Aux.
Or my favorite situation is where the radio just changes itself. It’ll be on Aux and go to FM and then AM radio, or just be on radio and switch around.
haven’t heard that boom again at least,I thought my speakers blew out.

any help or advice is super appreciated!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey all,
So I have an ‘11 civic coupe lx.
a few weeks ago my radio made a loud boom and then no sound came out of the speakers despite the radio still being displayed. Turned off the car and back on the radio worked no problems.
Now I gamble everytime I turn it on. Sometimes there’s no sound, but radio is still on and I can try to change stations, CD, Aux.
Or my favorite situation is where the radio just changes itself. It’ll be on Aux and go to FM and then AM radio, or just be on radio and switch around.
haven’t heard that boom again at least,I thought my speakers blew out.

any help or advice is super appreciated!!
Radio is going out.
I've seen these symptoms more than once.
Lights will eventually go out too, then you can pick up a used head unit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
head unit in as radio/ audio system?
if so, you hear of any of those touch screen units being any good? I was debating switching it out a while ago but haven’t gotten around to it
Yea, the actual head unit [Box] is responsible for those problems pops, random toggling, etc.

I personally dont have an aftermarket HU, but I know there's more than a few members on here that could give you their experience on Touch screen radios.

@everyone

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
if so, you hear of any of those touch screen units being any good? I was debating switching it out a while ago but haven’t gotten around to it
If you aren't fancy, just head to a local junkyard and grab a used one from there. Just remember when grabbing a used unit from a scrap car, open the glovebox and on the side there should be a code which you will need in order for the radio unit to work. Just remember to write the number down. On this generation Civic, I like to keep the radio unit factory as it works well 👍🏼

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you aren't fancy, just head to a local junkyard and grab a used one from there. Just remember when grabbing a used unit from a scrap car, open the glovebox and on the side there should be a code which you will need in order for the radio unit to work. Just remember to write the number down. On this generation Civic, I like to keep the radio unit factory as it works well 👍🏼
I was hesitant to purchase a used radio incase this happened again lol I ended up getting a Sony screen, gonna have it installed towards the end of the month, fingers crossed!
but thank you for the reply :) even if I tried to replace parts with oem- there’s such a backlog ugh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love a touch screen. Make sure it’s capacitive, not resistive. Capacitive conducts electricity so you can just touch it like a phone screen. Resistive you have to put some pressure on (like 3D Touch) I was souped for the apple car play but honestly I never used it. You can get a cheap or secondhand touch. Easy to install but remember you’ll need to replace the dash with a double DIN slot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love a touch screen. Make sure it’s capacitive, not resistive. Capacitive conducts electricity so you can just touch it like a phone screen. Resistive you have to put some pressure on (like 3D Touch) I was souped for the apple car play but honestly I never used it. You can get a cheap or secondhand touch. Easy to install but remember you’ll need to replace the dash with a double DIN slot.
thanks for such an informative reply! I just double checked, it’s listed as capacitive. I’m getting a Sony thru Best Buy. I bought a dash piece that should be double DIN, I’m going to double check that now though haha it’s a Scosche one.
And I don’t trust myself touching wires without messing something else up. Best Buy had the free install with geek squad so I’m letting them do it with my fingers crossed it all works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for such an informative reply! I just double checked, it’s listed as capacitive. I’m getting a Sony thru Best Buy. I bought a dash piece that should be double DIN, I’m going to double check that now though haha it’s a Scosche one.
And I don’t trust myself touching wires without messing something else up. Best Buy had the free install with geek squad so I’m letting them do it with my fingers crossed it all works out.
Tru. can’t beat free. But seriously if you’re not color blind (just have to match the two colored wires) and can connect speaker wire you’d be fine. Just saying for future reference or upgrades. That’ll cost you a **** ton. Plus It’s rewarding I feel even if a simple setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tru. can’t beat free. But seriously if you’re not color blind (just have to match the two colored wires) and can connect speaker wire you’d be fine. Just saying for future reference or upgrades. That’ll cost you a **** ton. Plus It’s rewarding I feel even if a simple setup.
hahaha thank you! I’m slowly working my way up on projects I trust myself not to mess up lol gonna be restoring my headlights and touching up some scratches that were there when I bought the car. Eventually I wanna try replacing the driver seat with another oem (accidentally burned a hole in it a few years back when I smoked) but with everything back ordered I’m just waiting in limbo.
but thank you again! I’m really excited for the new radio

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase a used radio incase this happened again lol I ended up getting a Sony screen, gonna have it installed towards the end of the month, fingers crossed!
but thank you for the reply :) even if I tried to replace parts with oem- there’s such a backlog ugh
I have a 2009 Civic Coupe and I have tried a few different touch screen radio but could not see the display due to the fact that my year and model has a huge light-collecting windshield. The displays were so bad that I removed the radios and put back the factory radio. I'm not sure what the 2011 coupe windshield is like but I'm curious as to how yours works out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2009 Civic Coupe and I have tried a few different touch screen radio but could not see the display due to the fact that my year and model has a huge light-collecting windshield. The displays were so bad that I removed the radios and put back the factory radio. I'm not sure what the 2011 coupe windshield is like but I'm curious as to how yours works out.

Thanks.
Hey, I’m getting it installed next week so I’ll deff let you know. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all! So I got the screen installed today! It looks awesome and my apple car play is all set up :) I just did an hour drive home with it and while the screen is a little dim in sunlight compared to crystal clear in the shade- it’s still very visible! Overall I’m very happy about this and finally have control over my music again haha
Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance!
White Automotive design Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all! So I got the screen installed today! It looks awesome and my apple car play is all set up :) I just did an hour drive home with it and while the screen is a little dim in sunlight compared to crystal clear in the shade- it’s still very visible! Overall I’m very happy about this and finally have control over my music again haha
Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance!
View attachment 245340

Hey I know its been a while but my 07' CIVC coup is having the same issues you initially reported. Wondering if the new radio made the difference long term of if it was a factory stereo issue (i.e you arent still experiencing issues with the stereo changing stations on its own)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts