8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have an amp and sub hooked up in my car thru the factory sub via and LOC, I am getting a new radio because I want more control over my sound. Ill be hooking up my sub via RCAs on my new radio.

I want to install a pioneer stereo that has a touch screen. I was wondering if I should use the factory amp in my EX or bypass the factory amp and use the signal coming from the new headunit to go directly to each speaker. Do you know the RMS going to each speaker from the factory amp? The RMS of the headunit I am wanting to get is 14w(U310), I could sacrifice the GPS feature and get a 22w model(p4200).

Do you think installing the PAC steering wheel control will be hard on the pioneer units listed below?

I prefer to get Pioneer AVIC-U310BT but I can fork out the extra cash for the power in the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD. I am mainly looking for two features: touch screen and rear usb port.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Id bypass the stock amp. The stock amps = :giggle:

Not that the Pioneer has the best internal processor either but if you're going to upgrade down the road to including amps in your setup then ur gona need to bypass the stock amps anyways. :thumbsup:

By the way I stronggggly recommend amping the setup.

-Aaron

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am already running a 500 rms amp to my sub, im worried that running another 4 channel maybe around 50 rms to each speakers will be too much for my battery/amp

·
Registered
155 Posts
It will not...dont worry about it. A small measure you could take is purchase an Optima red top, or run another battery. But I can almost guarantee you will not hit the limits of the stock battery. DO the Big 3, and upgrade your alternator if and when it goes out. Adding another battery will only cost your $100-$150, but like I said Im 95% sure you wont even hit the limits of the stock charging system. Im running 1200W RMS in my car with a RedTop and no other charging system mods, and it holds up just fine. You can even add a capacitor, but that wont be as efficient as running a 2nd battery.

But seriously, dont worry about it. Add an amp and you'll be more than happy with your system setup brah!

-Aaron

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how hard is it to amp the four speakers in the car? I will probaby put the amp in the trunk so I need to run the wires back up to my head unit and tap into them there? How much would a stereo shop charge to do the big three, install my headunit and my four channel amp and run the wires, and change the four speakers?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It isn't fun amping the stock stereo speaker locations.

In short, you will have 3 sets of RCA cables going from your head unit to your trunk if your amps will go there (1 set for subs, 1 set for front speakers, 1 set for back speakers, each set meaning a pair of channels). From there, your amp will amplify the signals and you will need to run new speaker wires to each door and the rear deck. The rear deck isn't difficult at all, but the door speakers are a bit more tricky, especially the tweeter locations at the front, you'll need to get creative.

Look through my build thread to get a glimpse of what you'd be looking at.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-e-electrical-security-navigation/164081-complete-stereo-install-sedan-si.html

Don't worry about your amp/battery. 500 watts RMS + an amp for your highs (probably 75 watts RMS per channel) won't be difficult on your battery if you listen at reasonable volumes, even at high volumes it won't be too bad if you have sufficient wiring to support it.
My Si has an amp that does 1173 watts RMS for my subs and 120 watts RMS per channel for my highs (so 480 watts RMS). I have 0 guage wiring and upgraded ground wires in the engine bay. My lights dim a bit when I turn it up, but I have stock battery and alternator, but it's not too terrible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah itll be some work, but it'll be worth it! Expect a full day(maybe less if you have a buddy to help you remove panels and run wires). Id go ahead and start the day off by taking out all the panels and gutting your trunk to see how you're going to setup your amps and cables. As jonofmac mentioned, you will need to invest in some RCA cables too. Id go for the 20-30ft to make sure you have enough.

BTW Jonofmac very clean install, my equipment and power setup is identical to yours except Ive got the MRV series of Alpine amps, the older younger brother of your digital amps :) Im running 800W RMS to my Type R subs and 125/channel to my mids/highs! Crystal clear!

To the OP, just think it through, save up for parts, cables, wires, etc, and just do it all in one day. Its not worth the time to have to run the cables through the car more than once, its a biatch to do it. Save up, do it all together, and you'll be more than happy you did so.

A shop Id estimate about $300 in labor to to all the installs, maybe a $100 more for the RCAs, speaker wires, etc. DIY = Best. Where are you located?

-Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts