8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is 06 Civic EX coupe.

The CD palyer doesn't work so i bought a used replacement from eBay. Donor vehicle is (was) an 06 EX coupe. Only difference is donor was AT & mine is MT.

So the swap goes fine & new radio powers on, but wants a code. Assuming that would happen, I took the replacement radio into the local Honda dealer earlier today. They said the serial number doesn't show up for that model #, but gave me 3 codes to try & said one should work. Well, none do. So I call them up & they said there's nothing I can do except call Honda. (Like I'm supposed to just look up the corporate radio unlock hotline in the yellow pages or something?)

Anyway, other than shelling out $300+ for a new OEM head unit from dealer (or $100 more for another used stock unit for that matter), anyone know a way around this?

DONOR VEHICLE VIN INFO:

VIN 2HGFG12846H507617 VALID
Year 2006
Make Honda
Model Civic Coupe
Trim EX
Style EX AT

MY VIN INFO:

VIN 2HGFG11866H503196* VALID
Year 2006
Make Honda
Model Civic Coupe
Trim EX
Style EX MT

My broken radio info sticker:

The replacement radio (that I can't unlock) infor sticker:

They are both the same part #. Am I missing something? Anyone know of a way to fix?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
ask the ebay seller. he should have gotten a code with his car. why was your radio not covered under warranty however?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why don't you go to your local dealership and tell them to warranty the origional one??? Should be covered unless your over your mileage. There is a serial number on the back of the radio that honda needs and they can figure out the code.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have too many miles so I'm out of warranty. Bought car used, as-is, from a Nissan dealer about 2 hrs away. Otherwise I wouldn't be messing with this at all.

eBay seller is junk yard/parts out wrecks. Clearly state they do not provide unlock codes. I didn't figure that would be a problem since the Honda dealer is so close....

Today was my only day off too. Really hoped to get this done. At least taking apart the dash, R&R the radio, & putting the dash back together was pretty easy. Won't be that hard to do it again with another head unit if I can't get this one figured out.

/me frustrated

Another thought - since I have the bad unit out, I wonder if it can be fixed? Radio part works fine. It won't take a CD though - goes about 1/4 the way in, but won't accept it. Makes a lot of noise like it's trying to take it, just doesn't. If I hit the eject button, it makes some noise too like it's trying to spit out a disc - but there isn't one in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts