Banned
28,158 Posts
arai gp5
bell K1
schuberth

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
I've been racing things (starting in karts) since i was 8, and all my way through motorsports catagories i've heard the same thing over and over again, when people ask
" What helmet should i buy?"

The answer i always give anybody is, "How valuable is your head, and your life"
Helmets arn't there to look cool, they are there to save your life.
Fyi, most racers will use the Arai GP5 - from karts through nascar to indy and formula 1

Robert

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Just because its "snell" approved, doesn't mean its good.. you can just scrape a grade A, or you can pass it easily - its the same with the testing.. if it was that good, why doesn't everyone that puts their life at risk racing professionally use one?

my post was to only say, don't just go for a cheap helmet, at the end of the day, it's your life that is at risk.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I remember seeing a carbon fiber helmet that looked awesome. Thing was like a thousand dollers though. Probably wasnt even that good, but at least it looked sweet.

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
actually Bell, and Arai both do a version of their top of the range helmets in c/f

It is good, and is what most of the F1 drivers use (hard to tell as they have them painted) lol, i tried one on and it was so light compared to the already light GP5 .. that is $1k, the c/f was about 3k

·
Banned
28,158 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've been doing autox, karting (Rotax, too!), and open track events for a number of years. My current helmet is a Simpson Bandit helmet. I'm very happy with the comfort, safety, visibility, and value that it provides. I'll probably buy another Simpson in a couple of years.

Go to a helmet shop and try on a few before you buy. As mentioned before, Simpson, Bell, Arai, and Sparco all make very good helmets. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those brands. Just be sure to get a full-face helmet and not an open-face one.

BTW, in most cases the difference between the mid-price helmets and the high-price ones are exotic materials (e.g., CF), cooling, and other features not really necessary for autox and open-track driving. I'd rather spend the extra money on tires, brake pads, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have one bell and one arai. I prefer the Arai over the Bell. (sK5 vs Dominator)

The chin spoiler on the Dom is fairly annoying; not to mention it's HUGE compared to the SK5. The dominator is lighter than the SK5; but it's comparable to the GP5 in terms of weight.

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Yeh, i had the Dominator for all of 1 week.. then i told myself i cant be dealing with this lip anymore, stuck it on my shelf, and went back and got a gp5 and an sk5 for when it rains ( single seater racing, you get wet :p)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts