8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i was looking at RSX-S headers and stuff at clubrsx.com and noticed something

a DC sports RACE header : This off-road application is for people that are looking to get all the bolt-on power they can out of their RSX. This header combined with the TCS and CAI added 44 HP and 36.9 ft/lbs torque over stock at the wheels. Mandrel bent mild steel is used to smooth the air into a true 4-1 collector and out the exhaust. Bolts right up to Twin Canister System Exhaust.

Note: For off road use only.

and here is a regular one: Countless hours of research and development went into the creation of this header. The change in the design of the factory exhaust system presented a new set of challenges for DC Sports engineers. With the stock catalytic converter welded to the secondary, the R&D Department had to find a way to create power out of the primary only. Computer aided design and extensive dyno testing led to our successful collector design. The result of our labor is a header that works with the factory secondary to produce power throughout the RPM range.

Features:
9.4 HP Gain @ 6700 RPM
7.2 ft/lb Torque Gain @ 6800 RPM
Available in ceramic coated mild steel and T-304 stainless steel
Mandrel bent tubing
CNC Machined Flanges
CARB Exempt
2 Year Warranty

Why does one add 44hp with intake and exaust while the other does 10?

Is the racing header illegal or something? And if it is... how would they know the difference..... any info would be great

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
race isn't going to have a cat. Gasses leave the engine - into the header - into the exhaust pipe. You won't pass emissions testing (if you have any where you live). So the manufacture calls it "off road use only". It'll be much louder this way.

The gains are also noted with - "TCS and a cold air intake". The header didn't produce that much gains. It's combined.

the other produces like 10 because gases leave the engine - into the header - into the cat - into the exhaust pipe.

that's why you see most turbo applications removing the cat. That's the bottleneck of the exhaust system basically. You'll be able to get high flow cats, or less restrictive cats shortly after the car releases I'm sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
good post webby... pretty much everything u said was about what i was going to post. Allthough im not too familiar with the KA24Z3 or any honda motor for that matter but as far as bolt ons go i would get a header any one that removes the cat as im sure its very close to the block and a hondata reflash i believe those would be the best "bang for the buck mods" i would get. Also im sure it has a secondary cat of some sort or a resonator. So yes it will be louder cuz you are removing the primary cat converter and generally long tube headers make more power then short tube I'm sure the 4-1 header is a good product as AEM bought dc sports and their quality is topnotch. Also check out Comptechusa.com they make a header for the motor as well as jackson racing and toda all good choices imo...

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is a great reason I live in Georgia. I can get away without the cat or use cutout's. But I also have to pay 7% sales tax. Go Figure. Here is my little experience in headers. You will only see a mild gain. That gain is going to pushed in the midrange hp. You will see a better torque uprade than cai or exhaust. I have a local dyno and will be replacing the cai,headers,and exhaust. I will post dyno's. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
webby said:
race isn't going to have a cat. Gasses leave the engine - into the header - into the exhaust pipe. You won't pass emissions testing (if you have any where you live). So the manufacture calls it "off road use only". It'll be much louder this way.

The gains are also noted with - "TCS and a cold air intake". The header didn't produce that much gains. It's combined.

the other produces like 10 because gases leave the engine - into the header - into the cat - into the exhaust pipe.

that's why you see most turbo applications removing the cat. That's the bottleneck of the exhaust system basically. You'll be able to get high flow cats, or less restrictive cats shortly after the car releases I'm sure.
the best exhaust for a turbo'd vehicle is no exhaust :)

but since its a law to have a muffled vehicle on the road.. your best bet is to run 3-4" piping for 4 cyl and 4-5" piping for 6cyl & 8cyl - depending on your hp output.. a bigger exhaust can be overkill.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on high-flow cats and test pipes.. either get a race header or leave that part of the exhaust system alone until your making some decent hp where it does become a bottle neck, then get the race header :)

On a N/A setup.. you can typically leave the exhaust alone until you've been pushing a good 15-20whp or more from the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GeorgiaBoy said:
That is a great reason I live in Georgia. I can get away without the cat or use cutout's. But I also have to pay 7% sales tax. Go Figure. Here is my little experience in headers. You will only see a mild gain. That gain is going to pushed in the midrange hp. You will see a better torque uprade than cai or exhaust. I have a local dyno and will be replacing the cai,headers,and exhaust. I will post dyno's. Hope that helps.

Header's? You have multiple heads? Wow, thats pretty good for a 4 cyl.....

Got a MoTeC System exhaust for you too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts