8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to put some new headers on my car but i didnt want to have to remove my cat because i spent about 300 bucs putting in a random tech high flow. can someone tell me what my options are? who makes "good" headers for our cars? and how can i avoid having a CEL go on in my car?

I know that Vibrant, DC, BC, and T1R make headers but T1R seem to be the only one that made them with the O2 sensor fix.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
you can't buy a race header and have the R/T cat on your car. You can either sell your R/T, or, you could go with the Comptech shorty header. the combination of comptech header and R/T cat will make power- not quite as much as you'd see out of a race header. I THINK someone was making 9whp with that combination on a thread around here somewhere, but I could be wrong, so please search if you want an exact figure.

I own a R/T cat, and I think I'm going to go with the comptech header.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you can try the vibrant race header cat not eliminated. im not sure if CEL will come on but all i know is all other race headers that does eliminate the cat will make a CEL come up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ErichPryde said:
you can't buy a race header and have the R/T cat on your car. You can either sell your R/T, or, you could go with the Comptech shorty header. the combination of comptech header and R/T cat will make power- not quite as much as you'd see out of a race header. I THINK someone was making 9whp with that combination on a thread around here somewhere, but I could be wrong, so please search if you want an exact figure.

Thats actually what I was going to do, CT shorty w/ RT cat. However I called up Corsport yesterday asking them about the headers and they said that Comptech probably wasn't making them anymore but that they weren't 100% sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yunglaosta said:
you can try the vibrant race header cat not eliminated. im not sure if CEL will come on but all i know is all other race headers that does eliminate the cat will make a CEL come up.
The Vibrant with the cat not eliminated comes with its own cat right? so i would still not be able to use the RT one that I have?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
SPORT injected said:
The Vibrant with the cat not eliminated comes with its own cat right? so i would still not be able to use the RT one that I have?
1st question: yes, second question: no

You can't use the R/T cat with any race header, only a shorty. As of right now the only after market shorty that I know of is the Comptech.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ErichPryde said:

You can totally weld the R/T cat onto the straight pipe of a race header.

We already have a shorty header in the SI, it seems foolish to buy a new one.

Then again maybe I am imagining all of this. I'll wait for others to chime in and either flame or agree.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
tommyroo said:
You can totally weld the R/T cat onto the straight pipe of a race header.

We already have a shorty header in the SI, it seems foolish to buy a new one.

Then again maybe I am imagining all of this. I'll wait for others to chime in and either flame or agree.
It would be silly to butcher a $300+ HFC (just sell it and buy a smaller HFC to weld into the RH for $100 +/-)

WITH a HFC the Comptech shorty has proven to make gains.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k20z3 Koop said:
It would be silly to butcher a $300+ HFC (just sell it and buy a smaller HFC to weld into the RH for $100 +/-)

do you guys know where i can get and IF i can still get those shorty headers from Comptech?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
k20z3 Koop said:

It is also silly to make a street car illegal by removing the cat. Don't let me see your catless car, as a tree hugging hippie I might rat you out myself. :lildevil:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
tommyroo said:
It is also silly to make a street car illegal by removing the cat. Don't let me see your catless car, as a tree hugging hippie I might rat you out myself. :lildevil:
I actually have an R/T cat myself :p I was just saying its silly money wise.

Personally I like staying legal and will prolly go with a Comptech shorty...

Although I have some modifications in mind that I might do to the stock shorty.:lildevil: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And just so you all know, I was kidding, I wouldn't call the pigs over a missing cat.

However I am a tree hugger and I plan on going race header + h/f cat...maybe the vibrant method, maybe not.

Race header + h/f cat > Shorty header + h/f, just costs more.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^^ I figured you were kiddin bro :p

I too like my HFC, keeps the piglets at bay, the trees green and my inspection sticker current.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts