8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if anyone has information on r18 internals and how they stack up against other SOHC honda engines. maybe manufacturers are taking forever to come out with mods but would it not be possible to tweak internals from d-series or something to fit r18s? just a theory, but im curious to see what you think and if anyone has info on this

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I thought it was going to be a race or something. I believe the interchangeable parts for D-series will not fit your R18.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not saying interchangeable, but if it just takes minor mods to existing parts for previous engines... wouldn't r18 people be more inclined to do that rather than sit around and wait for the racing industries to pick up the r18s? personally i think its goin to take a long time to get mods for non-si just because this engine is geared so much towards fuel economy. but someone pulled apart an r18 when it overheated and people were amazed by the stoutness of it, so why not get sizes and look for close fits then just modify to fit? thats what the industry will do, they'll jus make it more expensive cuz its "new"

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Turbo it. Kit's available.(200hp). Same power with an SI with basic mods.

How come you didn't take the SI over the R18? That way, you could just drive the SI stock and no need modding it. Invoice of the R18 and the FG's are pretty much close in Invoice price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got an r18 because at the time i wasn't interested in modifying it and it gets better milage (~40 in mine) then the SI... im not looking for serious power gains... if i were i wouldn't have bought a honda anyway. i have an r18 and im keeping it and i want to play with it and upgrade it cuz its my car

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
i got an r18 because at the time i wasn't interested in modifying it and it gets better milage (~40 in mine) then the SI... im not looking for serious power gains... if i were i wouldn't have bought a honda anyway. i have an r18 and im keeping it and i want to play with it and upgrade it cuz its my car
LOL I pretty much feel the same way. But I got my R18 because I had to get a car fast and that car was the only one in the lot i was even interested in, not only that but it was pretty much brand new (only had 4500 miles on it) for a used car price.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I got the I/H/E, so it looks like I'm done with the engine. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do in the future, whether trade it in (I was thinking maybe for a R32 for more luxury and more upgrade ability), or turbo it and keep it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well for you all that want to turbo or have turbo'd your r18, have you done anything other than just slap the turbo on? i hear people like civcpride are boosting like 10psi and some are doin more supposedly but i personally dont trust the internals to hold up to that much and i dont wanna be the first one to blow out my engine. call me crazy

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Bro, I can tell you there is no company that is going to make real parts for this engine. It's all about return on investment. I don't care how many enthusiasts send emails, cal or knock on the door, if the company doesn't think they will make money they won't produce the product.

As an owner of a company myself I know that with the cost of installing a part like that and the only tune option is piggy back I wouldn't make an off the shelf piston either, or any other serious parts for that matter.

Do you know how long it took companies to start making parts for the D series motor? For the money you would have to spend to make this car marginally faster you could have a serious fast K swapped 88-00 Honda/Acura.

If you really want pistons you can have the "custom made" but expect a custom price tag.

but i personally dont trust the internals to hold
Why? Boost doesn't kill an engine, detonation and preignition do. 13.2 psi only increases rod load by 20% and Honda uses steel rods, if you can eliminate the possibility of detonation and pre-ignition then I say the engine will hold up pretty good.

FYi forged internals don't stop those conditions only withstand the effects better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts