8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the nice step-by-step and the photos, EdNaviEx! Two quick questions. You didn't mention anything about the plugs needing to be gaped. Do they need to be, or are they at the correct gap out of the box?

Also, you didn't mention about the various types of plugs available. For example, standard plugs to the expensive iridium plugs. Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for the nice step-by-step and the photos, EdNaviEx! Two quick questions. You didn't mention anything about the plugs needing to be gaped. Do they need to be, or are they at the correct gap out of the box?

Also, you didn't mention about the various types of plugs available. For example, standard plugs to the expensive iridium plugs. Which do you recommend?

Thanks!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA
I'm pretty sure the R18 calls for iridium type plugs and those cannot be gapped by the end user.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Thanks!

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA
Thanks man! Rest of your question answered below.

I'm pretty sure the R18 calls for iridium type plugs and those cannot be gapped by the end user.
Yep. These iridium plugs are supposed to last 100K miles. They come pre gapped.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
thank you for the write up! I will def be doing this when I get me some tools and when all this snow clears up in Taxachusetts.
Not a problem! OMG, I can't believe it's been 3 years. Coming up on 175K miles, due soon for another plug change.............

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How's it running at 175?
Actually running like a champ! The only thing I can tell, is that she MIGHT (slight vibration) be a little rough at idle. I've asked the dealer (b/c I can't do it) to adjust the valves and look at the engine mounts. Both pass with flying colors. I drive a like a grandma and mainly do highway so I expect at least 250,000 from her. Although in the "800,000 miles and going.... from member Deltatechx" thread, there was a guy who has 300,000 miles (all original everything, kept it stock) and it going strong.

I believe these cars can last A TON (with little trouble) as long as you are good with maintenance. Of course, I'll report back or make another thread as I go along.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
coil clip fastener. tip

Well, replaced my plugs yet again.

Forgot how to remove the clips and nearly ruined them after realizing I was trying to remove them the wrong way. So anyway, see picture below. See where my thumb is? Position your finger the same way and push in toward the motor to unfasten the clip. Then after you've seen it unclip, push upwards to remove it.

How plugs look at about 75K miles of use. Not too bad. I changed them out b/c I heard/read/saw somewhere most manufactures recommend plugs be changed out every 50K miles after the first 100K miles.

179K miles on the clock.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
...........is that she MIGHT (slight vibration) be a little rough at idle. I've asked the dealer (b/c I can't do it) to adjust the valves and look at the engine mounts. ................
Well, to answer my own question and to help others, turns out my motor mount (passenger side) is done. That's another issue that doesn't pertain to this thread.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, replaced my plugs yet again.

Forgot how to remove the clips and nearly ruined them after realizing I was trying to remove them the wrong way. So anyway, see picture below. See where my thumb is? Position your finger the same way and push in toward the motor to unfasten the clip. Then after you've seen it unclip, push upwards to remove it.

How plugs look at about 75K miles of use. Not too bad. I changed them out b/c I heard/read/saw somewhere most manufactures recommend plugs be changed out every 50K miles after the first 100K miles.

179K miles on the clock.
I just hit 125K, I did my plugs a few weeks ago. Gotta drain my radiator and tranny fluid soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
At 275,000, I installed new plugs and coils. Engine was bucking, so I decided to change both of them. This was June 2019.

Purring like a kitten once again.

Changing the coils was easier than the plugs. Part number for the coils can be seen on the coil head in the picture (Denso 673-2305)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts