8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local Auto Parts store has these spark plugs on sale.

Can someone let me know if they're compatible with a 2006 Honda Civic EX 1.8L? Seems as though there's only one kind of NGK Iridium spark plugs on their site...so wondering if I could use it on my car.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local Auto Parts store has these spark plugs on sale.

Can someone let me know if they're compatible with a 2006 Honda Civic EX 1.8L? Seems as though there's only one kind of NGK Iridium spark plugs on their site...so wondering if I could use it on my car.

Thanks in advance!
Couldn't find an Edit button.

Here's the link

NGK Iridium Spark Plug, 2-pk. | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the DIY... Seems pretty straight forward. I just ordered some Ngk Iridiums. Can't wait to see what kind of condition the old plugs are in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice DIY did this a while ago after 110k in my car, the plugs didn't look bad at all, after i put in the new OEM spark plugs my car seemed to run a lot smoother

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice DIY did this a while ago after 110k in my car, the plugs didn't look bad at all, after i put in the new OEM spark plugs my car seemed to run a lot smoother
Thanks everyone!! This is very easy to do. After I put in my new plugs, the engine did seem "sharper". Easy, fun to do and you save money! Win.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered NGK Laser Iridium BKR7EIX from Amazon for $9.54/ea tax included. What I forgot to do is check the gap, which I'll definitely check this weekend.

Before completely removing the spark plug, I followed this tip I saw from watching Motorweek -

So in summary, here's what he suggested:
1. Remove all coils
2. Loosen the spark plugs about 1/8 turn
3. Put the coils back
4. Start the engine and rev hard 1 time
5. Turn off engine
6. Then proceed with removal of all spark plugs
7. If the spark plugs are stuck, don't "muscle" it out. Loosen/tighten back a couple times. If you use anti-seize, you shouldn't have this problem next time.

I read in other threads that the factory torque specs is 17-18 lb/ft. However, ever since I've always followed hand-tight + 1/4 turn.

Anyway, thank you again to the OP for this great DIY post.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I replaced mine at 95k but the local auto parts store didn't have any NGK iridium plugs so I went with Bosch platinum. I know they won't last as long as iridiums but how long should they last? Should I have went with iridiums or is it just a longivity thing.. The car idled a lot better and acceleration was a lot smoother... They were also a breeze to change which is why I wouldn't hesitate to switch them out...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OP, that is A LOT of anti-seize. I used maybe 1/5 of the amount you used, if that.
....if not 1/10 to avoid over-tightening. Just a tiny dab on the lower threads will do, so that they'll distribute to upper threads while tightening.

You really shouldn't need any at all if you properly torque the plugs.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I changed mine with brand new NGK plugs and my "4" maintenance code went away, it has now returned despite the brand new plugs-Any advice?
Went away? The maintenance reminder just doesn't go away, you have to reset it manually.

yea

and Great DIY
Thanks man!

....if not 1/10 to avoid over-tightening. Just a tiny dab on the lower threads will do, so that they'll distribute to upper threads while tightening.

You really shouldn't need any at all if you properly torque the plugs.
Didn't have a torque wrench, but most mechanics hand tightened them. As I mentioned before, when I spread the anti-seize, alot came off. Better safe and sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not mechanically inclined at all but I bought the spark plugs and now I just need the tools. Are these two products the correct ones to purchase? I am a little confused by the socket set being 1/4" and the spark plug socket being 5/8"

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am not mechanically inclined at all but I bought the spark plugs and now I just need the tools. Are these two products the correct ones to purchase? I am a little confused by the socket set being 1/4" and the spark plug socket being 5/8"
1/4" is the size of the socket set. It is the size of the plug you attach the ratchet to. There are 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets (the tool you plug the sockets to and does the rotating and has a handle, understand?". Do yourself a favor and get 3/8" socket set and ratchet. It's the most universal size and easiest to get. 1/4" is kinda small. The spark plug size is 5/8", but make sure it matches your ratchet. So if you have a 1/4 ratchet, get a 5/8" plug for a 1/4" ratchet.

The second link (spark plug and other) doesn't say if it's 1/4" or otherwise.......

Hope this helps. Hope I didn't confuse you............

·
Registered
2 Posts
while doing this i snapped the screw and nut that hold the spark plug coils in place. does anybody have the part numbers for those. i can't seem to find them online anowhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amazed at how the gap is right at 0.040 on all four $20 OEM spark plugs I picked up at the dealership. Not so on the $100 NGK racing plug series that are gapped all over the place I got for my Evo.

Thanks for the pictures.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts